PDA

View Full Version : Well, the whole night was brilliant and set a stark contrast between the parties

Chief Arrowhead
08-31-2012, 03:24 AM
Hard to imagine anyone actually being independent. Either you believe in American Exceptionalism or you don't.

Arsenes' Wanger- Bring back Modd
08-31-2012, 03:54 AM

Gunner Since Time Began - born to moan
08-31-2012, 04:04 AM
his agenda as they did Obama's.

08-31-2012, 04:05 AM

Chief Arrowhead
08-31-2012, 04:06 AM
By others it can be misconstrued as if somehow we humans are "exceptional". It is actually completely opposite. WE are the wretched refuse of the world, but only by the Exceptional nature of our devotion to freedom can a person with the humblest of beginnings make anything they want out of themselves. Our system of government that loudly proclaims the freedom of the individual and his "Inalienable rights" to have "life, liberty(freedom) and the pursuit of happiness". Anyone can be what they want to be if they are smart enough and work hard enough and pursue their dream, they will make it.

To me, it dissolves down to one word: freedom.

That is American Exceptionalism. It happens to be something our current President and many others don't believe in. I am afraid that it is now going spare.

Chief Arrowhead
08-31-2012, 04:09 AM
And one day, maybe now, you and your ilk that desire central planning for your life will overwhelm the rest of us.

Thanks for providing to this Aussie gentlemen what those of us that still believe in freedom are up against in this country.

08-31-2012, 04:10 AM
definition.

08-31-2012, 04:11 AM

08-31-2012, 04:12 AM
I am a bit of a cynic myself, but as the saying goes, A cynic is an Idealist who has been let down too many times.
I do think the Brits do music and comedy better than you Americans though Chief

Chief Arrowhead
08-31-2012, 04:12 AM
the Tea Party will do all it can to block that.

YOu have proven yourself to be a uniquely selfish old fart. You don't give a fig for this country or anyone younger than you. For you it has always been about how much you can take. Take. Take. Take.

So it is no surprise who you are for. You are for the man who will give you more.

Chief Arrowhead
08-31-2012, 04:13 AM

Chief Arrowhead
08-31-2012, 04:15 AM
If you want to prattle on about something else, like movies and such, I am happy to oblige.

08-31-2012, 04:16 AM

Chief Arrowhead
08-31-2012, 04:17 AM
That's where you and I are different. You seem to be soooo concerned about America. If those other countries want to claim this then I say great. More the merrier. May we all live when we can talk about Chinese Exceptionalism.

Chief Arrowhead
08-31-2012, 04:18 AM

08-31-2012, 04:18 AM
Us Aussies can chat on a number of issues at once.
We are very down to earth and don't take ourselves too seriously.

08-31-2012, 04:20 AM
except for Harry Kewell and Viduka and any other Aussie who played for Leeds.

Chief Arrowhead
08-31-2012, 04:21 AM
Mainly because I believe it to be endangered. This subject and The Arsenal. Other than that I can be swayed either way about most subjects .. unless you want to tell me that Nicky Cage is not a great Actor. Then I will have to beg to differ.

Chief Arrowhead
08-31-2012, 04:27 AM

Chief Arrowhead
08-31-2012, 04:29 AM
What ever happened to him?

Don't tell me he is a barrista at a local Starbucks.

08-31-2012, 04:29 AM
No one should be belittled for their personal tastes in things.
Freedom Chief, Us Aussies and you Americans have the freedom to say and do most things within moral grounds and a few outside.
Nik Cage, I can take or leave. Clint Eastwood is the greatest American actor in my opinion. A minimalist in acting and directing who lets the film do the work and doesnt overtalk it.

08-31-2012, 04:33 AM
He was a commentator for the London games and did brilliantly with his observations.

Chief Arrowhead
08-31-2012, 04:38 AM
because I was just joking about the Nicky Cage thing.

the Aussies I've met, we have agreed about pretty much everything as this goes .. except guns. I find the odd Aussie I run into to be 110 percent anti-gun ownership. I actually got in an argument one time with an Aussie dude about it!

Now South Africans, they are all about gun ownership!

Since we are both so freedom loving as countries, and to us having the ability to possess firearms as central to that freedom, I have yet to come to terms with that issue. Seems to me that your basic Aussie would be in favour of gun ownership also, but that is very far from the case!

You can take it to PM if you want. Don't reckon anyone else wants to talk about this. But if you post below that's fine as well.

Chief Arrowhead
08-31-2012, 04:40 AM
You keep this up and you'll be out of Lurker status shortly, my friend.

08-31-2012, 04:58 AM
We don't make a big deal of the right to bear arms but we make it a bit tougher for people to have guns. Of course after the Port Arthur Massacre ( google it if you like) we banned private citizens from having some of the rapid fire weapons. We sort of like our Army and Police to have the better weapons.
I would say the majority of country people in Australia are very pro gun.

seasider7
08-31-2012, 05:01 AM
TP hated McCain.
TP distrusts Romney.

Called them both too moderate etc.

If the TP point of view is so popular, why can't they get a candidate they like?

Chief Arrowhead
08-31-2012, 05:03 AM
you should not ever form a stereotype based on a few people you should meet.

Maybe those folks I met were from down Sydney way. Or, even worse, Melbourne! (just joking here)

08-31-2012, 05:07 AM
We are real men up North Queensland way

Chief Arrowhead
08-31-2012, 05:11 AM

Grinner
08-31-2012, 07:11 AM
But that doesn't include the freedom to marry the person that you love? Or the freedom to choose to decide what's best for your body?

The republican idea of personal liberty only applies to those that live their lives according christian beliefs.

What makes you think Obama doesn't believe in American Exceptionalism?

LDB.
08-31-2012, 07:41 AM
Modern politicians are reactive creatures as the 24hour news cycle often demands a "do something" culture. Cameron said the same thing but he's just as stateist as the rest of the political class.

Until people stop instantly looking to their politicians as soon as there is a problem your American Exceptionalism is pie in the sky.

Camp Freddie
08-31-2012, 10:28 AM