Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Pepe leaving?

Unhappy Pepe leaving?

Thank god.

My number 1 issue with him is his perpetual sad face.

It’s the most depressing thing in football.

How can someone be such a misery guts? 24/7 with the sad face.

Get him out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony C View Post
    Thank god.

My number 1 issue with him is his perpetual sad face.

It’s the most depressing thing in football.

How can someone be such a misery guts? 24/7 with the sad face.

Get him out.
    I still can't believe we spent 72m on a Gervinho. That's what Odin and Zinchenko cost combined. Or Jesus and Rambo.

The transfers after AW left were disastrous. But the last two summers seem to have been the best two in a row I can remember. {Though getting PV4, Petit and Overmars in two was a touch.}

Still think Sambi can come good. Nuno's got two in two for OM and could still come good or be flogged for a profit to a team that plays with wingbacks.

But 72m on Pépé and then giving Will-I-aint a 3 year, top dollar contract was insane.

Still looking forward to seeing Vieira 2.0 and also Marquinhos. Wish he was called Gabriel, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    I still can't believe we spent 72m on a Gervinho. That's what Odin and Zinchenko cost combined. Or Jesus and Rambo.

The transfers after AW left were disastrous. But the last two summers seem to have been the best two in a row I can remember. {Though getting PV4, Petit and Overmars in two was a touch.}

Still think Sambi can come good. Nuno's got two in two for OM and could still come good or be flogged for a profit to a team that plays with wingbacks.

But 72m on Pépé and then giving Will-I-aint a 3 year, top dollar contract was insane.

Still looking forward to seeing Vieira 2.0 and also Marquinhos. Wish he was called Gabriel, too.
    Whilst I don't disagree with what you said (mostly because I didn't read it), I did watch some of the Crystal Palace game at Liverpool the other day and thought - There is no way Zaha would fit into our Arsenal team now. Obviously he has great skill and finished his goal brilliantly, but he's your classic "save my legs so I can sprint when there might be a chance for me" type of player.

Just checked. Pépé scored a goal just over every 2.1 games in France. Gervinho in just under 2.4 games.

If Gervinho didn't take penalties then we paid 72m for a player of similar ability. Insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Just checked. Pépé scored a goal just over every 2.1 games in France. Gervinho in just under 2.4 games.

If Gervinho didn't take penalties then we paid 72m for a player of similar ability. Insane.
    With the greatest possible respect - one of the dumbest posts I have seen for a while. Leaving aside the randomly comparing a couple of stats to judge two players angle, they are actually quite impressive stats. For comparison, Marc Overmars scored a goal every 4.9 games for Ajax (one ever 4 for us)

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    With the greatest possible respect - one of the dumbest posts I have seen for a while. Leaving aside the randomly comparing a couple of stats to judge two players angle, they are actually quite impressive stats. For comparison, Marc Overmars scored a goal every 4.9 games for Ajax (one ever 4 for us)
    Ivorian wingers who score one in every two and a bit in France are ****. Fact.

I wouldn't want us to buy another one - certainly not for top dollar. Coni and William were woeful signings. I'd have loved him to come good, and he came off the bench and turned a game for us near the end of last season. Great equaliser and then assist for Laca in the dying seconds. But in France, other than penalties, his goals were basically all from being the main man for a counter attack. He was never gonna replicate that for us.

Though I guess that if he scored 1 in 5 for us in the league, then given Iwobi got about 1 in 10 and was sold for 35m, 72m for Coni seems about right.

Maybe we should flog him to Everton?

It is nice to have had 2 decent transfer summer windows on the trot. {Though getting Saliba back and playing this well is a real bonus, esp as it allows White to cover at RB fairly seamlessly.} 8 first team level players in two summers is good. Would still like a 9th.

Ivorian wingers who score one in every two and a bit in France are ****. Fact.

I wouldn't want us to buy another one - certainly not for top dollar. Coni and William were woeful signings. I'd have loved him to come good, and he came off the bench and turned a game for us near the end of last season. Great equaliser and then assist for Laca in the dying seconds. But in France, other than penalties, his goals were basically all from being the main man for a counter attack. He was never gonna replicate that for us.

Though I guess that if he scored 1 in 5 for us in the league, then given Iwobi got about 1 in 10 and was sold for 35m, 72m for Coni seems about right.

Maybe we should flog him to Everton?

It is nice to have had 2 decent transfer summer windows on the trot. {Though getting Saliba back and playing this well is a real bonus, esp as it allows White to cover at RB fairly seamlessly.} 8 first team level players in two summers is good. Would still like a 9th.
    I think we will get one more player in - no idea who though

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I think we will get one more player in - no idea who though
    Hope so. As I say, Saliba's been the icing on the cake. We needed a decent striker to replace Auba and Laca and we've got one. {Also, I think Eddie proved last year that he's good enough to get top 4.} The problem was the injuries to the FBs. Zinchenko covers the left but Saliba's looking like he could be a really top drawer, GG {him, not me} level CH and allows White to cover RB in exactly the way Arteta wants.

If Viera 2.0 is as good as hoped, then we've added 8 first XI level players in two windows. A 9th would be perfect. Being able to bring on 5 subs all of whom we'd be happy to have seen starting will be a real change to last year.

Firstly, if you look at some of the goals he has scored for us the Gervinho comparison is absurd. There's a very good player in Pepe, not sure why he's fallen out with Arteta but if he has to move on he has to move on. I would agree with you on William, mind, never understood that one.

Secondly, if you didn't think the transfers under Wenger were poor for the last 4-5 years you weren't watching carefully enough, GG. Gervinho, as an example. There's a reason that we were 6th in his last season, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Firstly, if you look at some of the goals he has scored for us the Gervinho comparison is absurd. There's a very good player in Pepe, not sure why he's fallen out with Arteta but if he has to move on he has to move on. I would agree with you on William, mind, never understood that one.

Secondly, if you didn't think the transfers under Wenger were poor for the last 4-5 years you weren't watching carefully enough, GG. Gervinho, as an example. There's a reason that we were 6th in his last season, you know.
    I think Pepe's one trick isn't the one MA wants. He's great on a pacy counter-attack with a rifle left foot. But he can't play one touch triangles against set defences.