Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye Adrian Anthony, and God bless you

Goodbye Adrian Anthony, and God bless you

I adored your writing, you were part of my life and I shall miss you until I draw my last breath.

Goodbye AA, you will be missed.

Blimey WES I had you down as a total piss head but you deep dude...
    'Seems that I was busy doing something close to nothing
    But different than the day before'

'Met a dwarf that was no good, dressed like Little Red Riding Hood'

'Now you're unemployed, all non-void
    Walkin' round like you're Pretty Boy Floyd'

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    I adored your writing, you were part of my life and I shall miss you until I draw my last breath.

Goodbye AA, you will be missed.

Agree 100%. I hardly ever watch telly, but his TV review was always the first thing I read on a Sunday before the non-fiction book reviews.

I used to hate the weeks when some other muppet was writing it instead. Never bothered to read them after trying a few times. Now every week will be like that. It was only by reading them that I found out about shows I should actually watch on iPlayer, like the Hollow Crown or The Night Manager.

Now I'll probably not watch tv again. Great.

My beloved saw him speak at the Sheffield Documentary Festival and said he was great, too. Around the time he was getting all that **** for offing a baboon.

And the restaurant reviews, even though I never go out to eat. It was great learning about the history and origin of food.

But some of his best stuff was the travel. I remember his recent thing on the Calais Jungle. "Every kid in every refugee camp says they want to be a doctor when they grow up. They want to heal the world." Something like that.

Yes, AA Gill, you will be sorely missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Agree 100%. I hardly ever watch telly, but his TV review was always the first thing I read on a Sunday before the non-fiction book reviews.

I used to hate the weeks when some other muppet was writing it instead. Never bothered to read them after trying a few times. Now every week will be like that. It was only by reading them that I found out about shows I should actually watch on iPlayer, like the Hollow Crown or The Night Manager.

Now I'll probably not watch tv again. Great.

My beloved saw him speak at the Sheffield Documentary Festival and said he was great, too. Around the time he was getting all that **** for offing a baboon.

And the restaurant reviews, even though I never go out to eat. It was great learning about the history and origin of food.

But some of his best stuff was the travel. I remember his recent thing on the Calais Jungle. "Every kid in every refugee camp says they want to be a doctor when they grow up. They want to heal the world." Something like that.

Yes, AA Gill, you will be sorely missed.
    Of all the celebrity deaths in 2016, this is the only one to really touch me as I will miss his work terribly.

Other than the baboon bothering, obvs. Mind you, baboons are nasty aggressive búggers, and baboon shít is the worst thing to get on your shoe.

I am full of admiration for his insistence that his Savile Row suits were all lined with scarves from Hermes. Now that is style.

I wonder if The Wolseley will set up his usual table the way they did for Lucien Freud?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Of all the celebrity deaths in 2016, this is the only one to really touch me as I will miss his work terribly.

Other than the baboon bothering, obvs. Mind you, baboons are nasty aggressive búggers, and baboon shít is the worst thing to get on your shoe.

I am full of admiration for his insistence that his Savile Row suits were all lined with scarves from Hermes. Now that is style.

I wonder if The Wolseley will set up his usual table the way they did for Lucien Freud?
    I used to live in Barnes and yet never ate in Riva. I read his article again about how much he loved his favourite restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by barrybueno View Post
    Blimey WES I had you down as a total piss head but you deep dude...
    Ironically - and it really doesn't change the message - I was pissed when I posted that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post

Come now. He was no Terry Wogan.

The apparent speed of his demise was a little surprising but having read parts of his piece yesterday it turns out chemo had totally failed, totally f**ked from that point as I am aware from family history.

Condolences to his family of course but in general I don’t subscribe to huge outpourings of grief for celebrities from mere ordinary people. The passing of Bowie earlier this year almost turned into a sideshow as people compared their levels of grief with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Come now. He was no Terry Wogan.
    Colonel Now wasn't Terry Wogan, I concur.

Dear old Terry goes into the bin with Prince and Bowie. I admired them greatly for their previous work, but I was never going to be touched by anything new they did.

Adrian Anthony was still churning it out every week.

Árse and balls, the restaurant review was the first thing I read in the ST! For years and years.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    The apparent speed of his demise was a little surprising but having read parts of his piece yesterday it turns out chemo had totally failed, totally f**ked from that point as I am aware from family history.

Condolences to his family of course but in general I don’t subscribe to huge outpourings of grief for celebrities from mere ordinary people. The passing of Bowie earlier this year almost turned into a sideshow as people compared their levels of grief with each other.
    Pancreas, innit. Once it's pancreatic you're proper fůcked. Bend over and kiss your arse goodbye time.