Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well if Jenkinson had any confidence remaining, he doesn't now!

Well if Jenkinson had any confidence remaining, he doesn't now!

Wenger: “He has lost confidence. The Jenkinson you see at the moment is not completely Jenkinson because he has no confidence. You think you are there ... you play and realise you are not as good as you think you should be and you lose confidence. Bellerín is one of the best in his position certainly in Europe but Carl can compete with him. At the moment, no, because mentally he has not found his total level of his confidence.”

"Today it is even more difficult because he gets quickly hammered by everybody on social media. I hope he doesn’t read all that and focuses on his game.”

Well, if he didn't know about the hammering on social media before, he does now

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Wenger: “He has lost confidence. The Jenkinson you see at the moment is not completely Jenkinson because he has no confidence. You think you are there ... you play and realise you are not as good as you think you should be and you lose confidence. Bellerín is one of the best in his position certainly in Europe but Carl can compete with him. At the moment, no, because mentally he has not found his total level of his confidence.”

"Today it is even more difficult because he gets quickly hammered by everybody on social media. I hope he doesn’t read all that and focuses on his game.”

It was a nice way of saying he isn't good enough.

I read that quote as well but when I read it my recollection was that Wenger said that primary reason for the loss of confidence was his injury and the time away from the game. The social media aspect was more of an afterthought.

It's almost as though you edited that quote in order to make it consistent with this garbage you continually trot out about Arsenal supporters being to blame for any shortcomings in the team. Rather than, you know, the manager and the players themselves?

And without Monty's editing, here is the fuller quote:

“He has lost confidence,” Wenger said of the 24-year-old England international. “The Jenkinson you see at the moment is the Jenkinson who can play but is not completely Jenkinson because he has no confidence. That will come back. He will be in and out and, suddenly, after one or two months, he will make the step and play. It is natural and very difficult. Today it is even more difficult because he gets quickly hammered by everybody on social media. I hope he doesn’t read all that and focuses on his game.”
    Arsène Wenger unsure when Cazorla will be back from injury for Arsenal
    Read more

In an uncomfortable moment on Wednesday, Jenkinson’s substitution was welcomed by many of the crowd during Arsenal’s home defeat to Southampton in the EFL Cup. Jenkinson has looked anxious in recent performances, but Wenger is sympathetic and maintains confidence can be fragile for a player working his way back from several spells out injured.

“Jenkinson has not played for a long period,” he said. “He had knee surgery after he had two shoulder surgeries and what he is going through at the moment is, for me, normal – but very difficult to live with for a player.

“You think you are there ... you play and realise you are not as good as you think you should be and you lose confidence. He is going through that period at the moment. Bellerín is one of the best in his position certainly in Europe but Carl can compete with him. At the moment, no, because mentally he has not found his total level of his confidence.”

Wenger accepted it might damage that confidence even more for a centre-back playing out of position to be selected ahead of him. “Look, the best way to help is to respect the fact to play them when they are competitive,” he said.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    I read that quote as well but when I read it my recollection was that Wenger said that primary reason for the loss of confidence was his injury and the time away from the game. The social media aspect was more of an afterthought.

It's almost as though you edited that quote in order to make it consistent with this garbage you continually trot out about Arsenal supporters being to blame for any shortcomings in the team. Rather than, you know, the manager and the players themselves?
    Actually I wasn't attemlting to make any point about our fans. I did apply some creative licence to my editing, but only to make it funnier. I just found it amusing that Wenger would refer to confidence so many times and then warn Jenkinson not to look at social media because everyone's saying he's ****, as if that's going to help!

So if anything it was a dig at Wenger, not our fans.

“He has lost confidence,” Wenger said of the 24-year-old England international. “The Jenkinson you see at the moment is the Jenkinson who can play but is not completely Jenkinson because he has no confidence. That will come back. He will be in and out and, suddenly, after one or two months, he will make the step and play. It is natural and very difficult. Today it is even more difficult because he gets quickly hammered by everybody on social media. I hope he doesn’t read all that and focuses on his game.”
    Read more

In an uncomfortable moment on Wednesday, Jenkinson’s substitution was welcomed by many of the crowd during Arsenal’s home defeat to Southampton in the EFL Cup. Jenkinson has looked anxious in recent performances, but Wenger is sympathetic and maintains confidence can be fragile for a player working his way back from several spells out injured.

“Jenkinson has not played for a long period,” he said. “He had knee surgery after he had two shoulder surgeries and what he is going through at the moment is, for me, normal – but very difficult to live with for a player.

“You think you are there ... you play and realise you are not as good as you think you should be and you lose confidence. He is going through that period at the moment. Bellerín is one of the best in his position certainly in Europe but Carl can compete with him. At the moment, no, because mentally he has not found his total level of his confidence.”

Wenger accepted it might damage that confidence even more for a centre-back playing out of position to be selected ahead of him. “Look, the best way to help is to respect the fact to play them when they are competitive,” he said.
    Although saying that, anyone who booed us off against Southampton *does* deserve cancer.

Read more

I'm pretty sure that cheering his substitution and then slaughtering him on social media has helped to restore his confidence, yes. That's what support is all about; take one of your own and kick him repeatedly in the bóllocks to ensure that he plays well. Yes.

Actually I wasn't attemlting to make any point about our fans. I did apply some creative licence to my editing, but only to make it funnier. I just found it amusing that Wenger would refer to confidence so many times and then warn Jenkinson not to look at social media because everyone's saying he's ****, as if that's going to help!

So if anything it was a dig at Wenger, not our fans.
    To be fair though, he is a bit sh1t.

Sorry, Carl.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    To be fair though, he is a bit sh1t.

Sorry, Carl.
    Well done mate, that'll help.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Well done mate, that'll help.
    Well if Carl listens to the boss he won't read it, will he