Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Slightly different, although I take the point. Ben Johnson artificially enhanced his performance. He ran faster because of it.

City haven't done that. The players themselves won everything fair and square. They are not better players because they cost more or they earn more and nothing has been done to enhance their actual performance. Pound for pound (pardon the pun) they were the best side and deservedly won the league.

The cheating is in how that squad was put together and specifically how much it cost. It sits outside the sphere of actual performance.

That said, think about the guy who came second to Ben Johnson. Yeah, he gets the medal, and he does deserve it. But Johnson ruined the occasion for him. It's a win, but a pretty hollow one.

I'm not saying City don't deserve to be stripped of the titles (I don't know if they do or they don't). I am just saying it would mean littler or nothing to me. I'm never going to count last season as a title win, under any circumstances. Still, it was a ****ing great season anyway and I thoroughly enjoyed it
Didn't Carl Lewis finish second to Johnson. Carl Lewis who at the 1988 Olympics trial had three positive results on a combined test for pseudoephedrine, ephedrine, and phenylpropanolamine. Not really relevant to the whole point but I never liked him