Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Labour's attempts to differentiate their position on Brexit and specifically

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    You're missing the point, Burney. Many Remain people voted Labour because they didn't want a hard Brexit and the Tories having a strong majority seemed the most likely way for that to happen.

It wasn't about the Labour manifesto, it was about weakening the Tories so that they had to compromise.

BTW, I don't think anyone committed to a hard or soft or full Brexit. I don't think anyone ever has because no one has ever really attempted to define what it meant. Which is one of the reasons I didn't vote Leave.
    Hard Brexit means leaving the EU. Leaving the EU means leaving the single market, customs union and ending freedom of movement.

Soft Brexit means not leaving the EU by not doing any of the above.

Labour campaigned on a manifesto that pledged to leave the single market, customs union and end freedom of movement. Therefore, if as you say, people voted Labour to avoid a hard Brexit, it seems a strange way of doing it. Unless, of course, they had a longer term and more calculated plan in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Hard Brexit means leaving the EU. Leaving the EU means leaving the single market, customs union and ending freedom of movement.

Labour campaigned on a manifesto that pledged to leave the single market, customs union and end freedom of movement. Therefore, if as you say, people voted Labour to avoid a hard Brexit, it seems a strange way of doing it. Unless, of course, they had a longer term and more calculated plan in mind.
    You really think that Brexit negotiations are that binary? You don't think there might be an achievable middle ground between the two things you describe?

Think again.

You really think that Brexit negotiations are that binary? You don't think there might be an achievable middle ground between the two things you describe?

Think again.
    Yes, certainly when it comes to single market membership and freedom of movement, it is that binary.

I of course agree that a middle ground will be reached, but it won't involve remaining in the SM and keeping FoM. Or if it does, we wouldn't have left the EU.

[QUOTE=Monty92;4166468]Hard Brexit means leaving the EU. Leaving the EU means leaving the single market, customs union and ending freedom of movement.

How can not leaving the EU be considered to be any kind of exit??

[QUOTE=Peter;4166530]
    How can not leaving the EU be considered to be any kind of exit??
    Glad it wasn't just me that noticed that.

Monty really should stick to not understanding football.

[QUOTE=World's End Stella;4166723]
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post

Glad it wasn't just me that noticed that.

Monty really should stick to not understanding football.
    You're both being silly. The scenario I was referring to was one in which we nominally left the EU but retained all of the substantive ties that come with being a member.

[QUOTE=Monty92;4166743]

You're both being silly. The scenario I was referring to was one in which we nominally left the EU but retained all of the substantive ties that come with being a member.
    No, you simply do not understand the difference between hard Brexit and soft Brexit. Mostly because you don't understand what soft Brexit is, I'm afraid.

[QUOTE=World's End Stella;4166746]

No, you simply do not understand the difference between hard Brexit and soft Brexit. Mostly because you don't understand what soft Brexit is, I'm afraid.
    Largely because it doesn't mean anything. Or more accurately, there is no real agreement as to what it means or how the term is used responsibly.

Brexit means Brexit is still the most sensible statement was have on the subject, which is quite terrifying

[QUOTE=Peter;4166748]

Largely because it doesn't mean anything. Or more accurately, there is no real agreement as to what it means or how the term is used responsibly.

Brexit means Brexit is still the most sensible statement was have on the subject, which is quite terrifying
    And yet 17mil people voted for it. Astonishing.

[QUOTE=World's End Stella;4166746]

Please do enlighten me then...