Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Damn those pesky kids - if they hadn't been scurrilously encouraged to

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    The point is that it doesn't lead to a parliament that reflects the national vote and is therefore hopelessly unreliable as an outcome based around a single issue.
    Peter, what would be the situation with free tuition fees (it's ok, Sir C isn't around so we can use the word 'free') if we are in the EU. Would all EU citizens be entitled to free tuition in UK universities? Presumably this isn't what Mr Corbyn intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Peter, what would be the situation with free tuition fees (it's ok, Sir C isn't around so we can use the word 'free') if we are in the EU. Would all EU citizens be entitled to free tuition in UK universities? Presumably this isn't what Mr Corbyn intended.
    No, they wouldn't. Free tuition would revert to the old system of capped numbers and would hugely reduce the number of places available. EU students (apart from Ireland) would apply as EU citizens but would not gain free tuition. They would likely face the full cost tuition in the same way that international students do, but without the visa restriction. They would also be excluded from the capped numbers- which is why when you walk around Oxford, Cambridge or UCL you will hear a million and one American accents- its far easier for them to get into the best institutions than it is for a home student.

Yet billions in taxpayers’ money goes to supporting these institutions in the form of research funding (research-intensive university is politician speak for the universities that they went to).

Obviously we still allow home students to go to the crap universities 

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    No. When I did my first degree, '89-92, it was free for us, costly for EU students and downright extortionate for out and out foreigners.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    No. When I did my first degree, '89-92, it was free for us, costly for EU students and downright extortionate for out and out foreigners.
    Right, but the EU was hardly even the EU then. Not that I want you to feel old or anything (you are clearly quite old!).

Nevertheless, you are right.