Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lynyrd Skynyrd are retiring :-(

Lynyrd Skynyrd are retiring :-(

They're halfway through a mahoosive farewell tour.

I know it's never been the same with Johnny standing in for Ronnie, but still... farewell Skynyrd. Go be Simple Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post

I know it's never been the same with Johnny standing in for Ronnie, but still... farewell Skynyrd. Go be Simple Men.
    I was gonna say, Ronnie 'retired' a while a go, as I recall.

HOW DO YOU RUN OUT OF FUEL, FFS!?

How many bands have successfully weathered the loss of their lead singer? I can only think of AC/DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post

How many bands have successfully weathered the loss of their lead singer? I can only think of AC/DC.
    People have found all sorts of extraordinary ways to run out of fuel. There was a 757 in Canada which ran its tanks dry because the captain requested 20,000 and the fuellers gave him 20,000, but he wanted 20,000 litres and they gave him 20,000 kilos.

There were all those slightly incetuous 60s bands that must have changed lead singers over time. John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, erm, other ones like that. Clapton and Beck were forever swapping around. Also see Page's involvement in such rock monsters pre Zep.
    Last edited by Sir C; 05-16-2019 at 02:49 PM.

Pffft. Me and the missus went to see ZZ Top* at Hammersmith Odeon / Appollo (or whatever it is called now) for their farewell tour.

They've done two more tours since...

* we left before the end
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    Pffft. Me and the missus went to see ZZ Top* at Hammersmith Odeon / Appollo (or whatever it is called now) for their farewell tour.

They've done two more tours since...

* we left before the end
    Now I'm all for the accepting of differing musical tastes, i, but you can't compare the legend that is Skynyrd with the novelty beard act that is ZZ Top. Honestly.

Duran Duran, The Power Station, Van Halen.

"Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Duran Duran, The Power Station, Van Halen.
    Also Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes, the night Southside got the shíts and had to leave the stage after the first number. Bobby Bandiera took over and did a sterling job.

People have found all sorts of extraordinary ways to run out of fuel. There was a 757 in Canada which ran its tanks dry because the captain requested 20,000 and the fuellers gave him 20,000, but he wanted 20,000 litres and they gave him 20,000 litres.

There were all those slightly incetuous 60s bands that must have changed lead singers over time. John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, erm, other ones like that. Clapton and Beck were forever swapping around. Also see Page's involvement in such rock monsters pre Zep.
    Was that the Gimley Glider? I remember reading about that. Some French-Canadian chap was the pilot.

I don't really count all those supergroup types, since they weren't real bands in the first place. I suppose you'd have to say Fleetwood Mac survived the loss of Peter Green pretty well, though.

Now I'm all for the accepting of differing musical tastes, i, but you can't compare the legend that is Skynyrd with the novelty beard act that is ZZ Top. Honestly.
    The fact that they weren't dead was fairly impressive.
    More so than their music, tbh.

Skynrrd? ZZ Top? Southern USers all piss in the same spitoon, innit.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Was that the Gimley Glider? I remember reading about that. Some French-Canadian chap was the pilot.

I don't really count all those supergroup types, since they weren't real bands in the first place. I suppose you'd have to say Fleetwood Mac survived the loss of Peter Green pretty well, though.
    I've edited to make the second litres kilos, as it makes no sense as it was.

We're forgetting Pink Floyd and Genesis, of course.