Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: The NFL certainly turned up some cracking entertainment yesterday

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Dunno. It's my view. I've always found flag fetishism weird. It seems to me that the only reason to fly a flag in this country is to advertise something about yourself and your views.
    Not much need to do that now though, is there? Much easier to open a facebook account and start signalling.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Not much need to do that now though, is there? Much easier to open a facebook account and start signalling.
    Well on Twitter, certainly, you often see people with Union Jack/St George's cross symbols by their name. Virtue signalling, perhaps, but maybe the good kind?

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Well on Twitter, certainly, you often see people with Union Jack/St George's cross symbols by their name.
    Tricky one all the same innit.

A chap may stick a few of your Georges Cross flags out the window during a World Cup finals and he will be lambasted for this.

We’re mad for football/sport related flags over here. Not me I should add but neighbours may have them out for weeks on end, perhaps too lazy to just bring them in after the first match.

No flag poles mind, just lashed out the front window.

Well on Twitter, certainly, you often see people with Union Jack/St George's cross symbols by their name. Virtue signalling, perhaps, but maybe the good kind?
    Well, 'good' is obviously a value judgement and patriotism can certainly have both a good and a bad kind IMO. Like many old things with new names, virtue-signalling is as old as the hills, and done by all sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Well, 'good' is obviously a value judgement and patriotism can certainly have both a good and a bad kind IMO. Like many old things with new names, virtue-signalling is as old as the hills, and done by all sides.
    Perhaps, but I don't think it's controversial to say that virtue-signalling is intrinsic to the modus operandi of a certain type of lefty, whereas it is by no means as important to either the identity or the motivations of your average rightist.

Perhaps, but I don't think it's controversial to say that virtue-signalling is intrinsic to the modus operandi of a certain type of lefty, whereas it is by no means as important to either the identity or the motivations of your average rightist.
    So right wing signalling is the good kind?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    So right wing signalling is the good kind?
    Well I think right wing virtue signalling is a very different animal, and a far more palatable one, yes.

Well I think right wing virtue signalling is a very different animal, and a far more palatable one, yes.
    Interesting.....