Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mustafi

Mustafi

Lee Dixon ...

""Wenger recruited some great players Kolo Toure, Sol, Thierry Henry. But Mustafi?

"I spoke to Gary Neville who said Valencia couldn't give him away.

"Then Arsenal came along and paid £30m for him."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...thing-12134595
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    Lee Dixon ...

""Wenger recruited some great players Kolo Toure, Sol, Thierry Henry. But Mustafi?

I've read other quotes from this meeting suggesting Dixon claims that Wenger didn't do any coaching and that his success was down to inheriting George Graham's team. So it all sounds like a load of old cóck.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I've read other quotes from this meeting suggesting Dixon claims that Wenger didn't do any coaching and that his success was down to inheriting George Graham's team. So it all sounds like a load of old cóck.
    I think the term "coaching" must just mean different things to different people.

It's like with dogs: Folk say to me, Why don't your hounds return to you when asked. I reply, Because it's not their job.

"Why don't you train them then?"

"Because they're perfectly well-trained already. Why doesn't your labrador run 70km/h and catch hare? Why don't you train it then?
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Boro Primorac does the coaching innit.

Just what does Arsene do?
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    I think the term "coaching" must just mean different things to different people.

It's like with dogs: Folk say to me, Why don't your hounds return to you when asked. I reply, Because it's not their job.

"Why don't you train them then?"

"Because they're perfectly well-trained already. Why doesn't your labrador run 70km/h and catch hare? Why don't you train it then?
    What exactly do you have against hares, r? What did the hares do to you?

What exactly do you have against hares, r? What did the hares do to you?
    Nothing. To the contrary, I'm the biggest hare fan you could ever care to know.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    Lee Dixon ...

And yet Joachim Löw, current manager of the World Champions and one of the favourites to be next manager of Real Madrid, rates him very highly. Of course, you could go with Neville's opinion

But Lee's comments imply that Mustafi represents a blip in Wenger's transfer activity. Although he is nowhere near good enough he is better than many centre-backs that he has signed: this is the man who gave us Silvestre, Stepanovs and Squiddly-Diddly (among other complete duffers).

I'd put Mustafi among the better ones he's treated us to: Cygan, Willie Gallas (post chav), Gabriel on a good day, Senderos......probably a touch below Vermaalen.

Yet none of those would get into any of the other top teams.
    Last edited by Yesterday Once More; 03-06-2018 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    And yet Joachim Löw, current manager of the World Champions and one of the favourites to be next manager of Real Madrid, rates him very highly. Of course, you could go with Neville's opinion
    Or Dixon's...

Indeed. But there is something very wrong with Mustafi's performances in an Arsenal shirt..

Quote Originally Posted by Yesterday Once More View Post
    But Lee's comments imply that Mustafi represents a blip in Wenger's transfer activity. Although he is nowhere near good enough he is actually better than many centre-backs that he has signed: this is the man who gave us Silvestre, Stepanovs and Squiddly-Diddly (among other complete duffers).
    I think Squiddly-Diddly was actually quite good before he came to Arsenal.