Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: When Wembley Park was ... a park.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    That and banning the tackle from behind.
    Post reported to Willie Young
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    Post reported to Willie Young
    "We've got the biggest Willie
    In our team!"

We were all the Archbishop of Banterbury back in those days.

Best rule change ever imo.
    It was more than a rule change, it virtually made it a different game. It's almost impossible to watch a game from before 1990 these days. Even the two-nil at Anfield you watch it and think 'Fùck me, this is awful'. The violence of the tackling is the most entertaining thing about large stretches of the game.

Also, how did anyone concede goals if they didn't want to? If you were one up with ten minutes to go, you could literally just keep passing it between the defenders and the goalkeeper. The only thing to stop you was a sense of shame or embarrassment.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    It was more than a rule change, it virtually made it a different game. It's almost impossible to watch a game from before 1990 these days. Even the two-nil at Anfield you watch it and think 'Fùck me, this is awful'. The violence of the tackling is the most entertaining thing about large stretches of the game.

Also, how did anyone concede goals if they didn't want to? If you were one up with ten minutes to go, you could literally just keep passing it between the defenders and the goalkeeper. The only thing to stop you was a sense of shame or embarrassment.
    Well that was a huge key to Liverpool's dominance at the time - Hansen to Lawrenson to Grobbelaar to.... - they just shut down games once they'd scored.

Which, on Friday 26th May 1989, they didn't
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Well that was a huge key to Liverpool's dominance at the time - Hansen to Lawrenson to Grobbelaar to.... - they just shut down games once they'd scored.

And the 70/71 double team. Once we'd scored we were almost certain to win. 1-0 to The Arsenal indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    And the 70/71 double team. Once we'd scored we were almost certain to win. 1-0 to The Arsenal indeed.
    a little before my time, sc

Indeed. It was hardly required a tactical genius to work that one out, though, did it?

a little before my time, sc
    Mine too. I'm quoting from the old boys on the North Bank.

I'm not that old, i.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Indeed. It was hardly required a tactical genius to work that one out, though, did it?
    no, but they seemed to do it better than anyone else could.

fúck me, them being league champions every year was fúcking tedious...

no, but they seemed to do it better than anyone else could.

fúck me, them being league champions every year was fúcking tedious...
    And that's why we hate Liverpool.