Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: So the Invincibles thing is safe for another season and Spurs aren't going to win it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Yes, I'm a great admirer of the oily fish, which isn't a euphemism but should be. In particular, of course, the raw fat herring.

I adore a kipper but the subsequent repititions get me down after a while.

A kipper is like smoked salmon or a prawn cocktail; the only possible accompaniment is thinly sliced, buttered brown bread. Cut into little triangles.
    I blame Captain Cùnting Birdseye. On his watch, 'Fish' became synonymous with 'white, flaky, but largely flavourless protein in batter/breadcrumbs' and the country's love for the herring came to an end.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Me too, actually. A woefully under-appreciated fish imo. As is mackerel, tbh. I'll very happily devour a plate of grilled sardines with my fingers.
    I probably best not mention I used to wash them down with a glass of Matues Rose and assumed I was the most sophisticated person.

I miss the 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    sardines, pilchards and herrings are all in the herring family Clupeidae. Obv a kipper is a smoked herring.

mackerel is a scombridae fish.
    scromber scrombus the most common consumed on these shores.

oily fúckers, the lot of em.
    This is fine fish knowledge, i. I salute you.

I also rather love the name 'Scromber Scrombus', which sounds like a schoolboy declining a latin verb.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Yes, I'm a great admirer of the oily fish, which isn't a euphemism but should be. In particular, of course, the raw fat herring.

I adore a kipper but the subsequent repititions get me down after a while.

A kipper is like smoked salmon or a prawn cocktail; the only possible accompaniment is thinly sliced, buttered brown bread. Cut into little triangles.
    With a poached egg or two for the breakfast??

Quote Originally Posted by AFC East View Post
    I probably best not mention I used to wash them down with a glass of Matues Rose and assumed I was the most sophisticated person.

I miss the 70s.
    It's OK, afce. We knew no better then. It was Saddam Hussein's favourite wine, too.

Also, you weren't drinking it in a park.

It's all very well to say the defence is horrid, but have you had a butcher's at ours lately?
    United will in all probability lose to spurs and we'll beat West Ham, 6 point gap again

Our defence was looking okay until Bellerin and Holding both got knacked

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    This is a powerful argument and I think you may have our Dutch chum there, sw.

This is a powerful argument and I think you may have our Dutch chum there, sw.
    I expect he is typing his correction and indeed apology at this moment.

Quote Originally Posted by AFC East View Post

I miss the 70s.
    I went for an Indian meal with some friends of friends recently. They took us to their local spot. They were greeted as regulars and, once seated, after a great deal of winking and nudging, a waiter delivered, with some eceremony. Their usual tipple. The drink they look forward to every week. A bottle of Mateus Rosé.

This was in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    I suppose it should work, like a poached egg and hollandaise atop smoked haddock... I'll give it a go, since I am an open-minded, scholarly type.