Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: If it doesn't go well tonight things are going to get toxic immediately, aren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I was asked to do so, nbut given that the defendant was a member of that community located some 1 mile from my door, I wasn't keen on being the visible face of the nicking.
    Do they have permanent encampments, then? I know someone back in Bourmemouth that recently drove to confront a boy that had stolen several items from the beach. He was rebuked by the community who explained that they didn't know who the boy (that was in one of the caravans) was or where he had come from. The boy hit his car with an iron bar, smashing the rear windscreen and taking off 1 x wing mirror.

The local constabulary were informed and they were unable to locate the boy and none of the inhabitants of the camp were aware of the incident that had taken place but 30 minutes previously.

It's great fun. One gets a train to Shortlands, or Bickley; the rush hour has finished and a sense of post-storm calm pervades. The dappled sunlight fills the carriage and one is wafted past the backsides of houses - stealing glimpses of the inhabitants' most intimate moments. At Beckenham Junction we leave the old Victorian railway infrastructure and are delivered into the 21st century tram system, all automated announcements and LED lighting. An elderly Muslim gentleman boards at Arena and leaves at Lebanon Road. One muses upon his journey; why must he go to Lebanon Road at 09:30 on a Thursday morning? Is he to play chess with his friend Sadiq, with whom he arrived on a BOAC flight from Entebbe in 1972? How do they feel now about the cosy, comfortable suburbia of Addiscombe, nestling under London's bottom like a chick garnering warmth and goodness from its mother. Arrival at the court and, after 4 days, the security guards now wave you through with a wink and a cheery 'Good morning' and no longer insist, somewhat sternly, that you take a sip from your water bottle to prove it doesn't contain acid. At the lift you bump into a couple of other members of your panel and exchange tales of your journeys and hopes for an early finish; these people have almost become friends, yet you know that you will never speak to them again once this trial is over.

The whole thing is impossibly romantic.
    This is much the most positive tale of Jury service I've heard. It almost makes me not want to avoid the thing like the plague, should I ever be called.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    This is much the most positive tale of Jury service I've heard. It almost makes me not want to avoid the thing like the plague, should I ever be called.
    Bear in mind I don't get out much, so any experience of the real world is quite exciting for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Do they have permanent encampments, then? I know someone back in Bourmemouth that recently drove to confront a boy that had stolen several items from the beach. He was rebuked by the community who explained that they didn't know who the boy (that was in one of the caravans) was or where he had come from. The boy hit his car with an iron bar, smashing the rear windscreen and taking off 1 x wing mirror.

The local constabulary were informed and they were unable to locate the boy and none of the inhabitants of the camp were aware of the incident that had taken place but 30 minutes previously.
    He went to a pikey camp to try and recover stolen goods? And he expected to get somewhere?

Is this guy educationally subnormal? If not, his naivety is almost touching. He was lucky to emerge alive. These people are a dyed-in-the-wool criminal subculture and see the rest of us as prey. Thinking you can go and appeal to their sense of fairness, decency and sense of civic responsibility is fvcking hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

It does seem to be an interesting life, doesn't it. My son sent me this, the other day; happened just up the way from his school. They just seemed to arrive. And they disappeared into thin air just as smartly the very next day, leaving not a rack behind, as the man said.

http://www.rp-online.de/nrw/staedte/...-aid-1.6998560
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

He went to a pikey camp to try and recover stolen goods? And he expected to get somewhere?

Is this guy educationally subnormal? If not, his naivety is almost touching. He was lucky to emerge alive. These people are a dyed-in-the-wool criminal subculture and see the rest of us as prey. Thinking you can go and appeal to their sense of fairness, decency and sense of civic responsibility is fvcking hilarious.
    Worst of all, they target people with good hounds. Now, while one naturally shares their appreciation, the problem is, stolen goods is stolen goods; these chaps are not interested in breeding them
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Worst of all, they target people with good hounds. Now, while one naturally shares their appreciation, the problem is, stolen goods is stolen goods; these chaps are not interested in breeding them
    And yet, r, if one shoots them, it's you the law arrests. What on earth is that all about?

He was encouraged to leave by a fat man in a vest who told him that 'kids round ere don't steal nothin'. He says that he thought that it'd be easy to steal the items back from a child. Wrong.

And yet, r, if one shoots them, it's you the law arrests. What on earth is that all about?
    You English is crazy, innit. The fact that all the middle-aged men around here are sad-moody-loner-with-hunting-rifle types acts as a proper deterrent. Over there though, they can pouch hounds, that are innocently out for their morning run, with complete impunity and at no risk.

I was asked to do so, nbut given that the defendant was a member of that community located some 1 mile from my door, I wasn't keen on being the visible face of the nicking.
    Without wanting to be pedantic, I believe this constitutes grounds for a mistrial. The accused is entitled to a jury that works to the best of its abilities.