Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Nearly had to kick my radio in listening to the Today programme this morning

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    ISTR they went in originally because of protestant violence against catholics.
    Yes, but that wasn't the reason they were still there in 1997.

ISTR they went in originally because of protestant violence against catholics.
    Basically it is all the fault of the Scots in the end. Surely we can all agree on that

Quote Originally Posted by Norn Iron View Post
    I've SW pegged as a Sinn Fein/ IRA sympathiser. Just give me the nod C
    He seems to have some dreadful grudge against Her Majesty, norn. God only knows what he and his mates might do given access to some cheap Czech explosive and some innocent horses.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    The first bit is a little harsh I would suggest and the second an error which many make, Ulster and Northern Ireland are two different and separate things.
    Mo might be interested to discover how the original plan for partition was for all nine counties of Ulster to become Northern Ireland, but three of them were too republican to ensure a pro-British majority, so it was reduced to six.

Also, very tempted to link to a certain SLF track at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    He seems to have some dreadful grudge against Her Majesty, norn. God only knows what he and his mates might do given access to some cheap Czech explosive and some innocent horses.
    Absolutely no grudge whatsoever old boy, in fact I defended the old doll in the face of some abuse a few years ago when she visited Dublin.

Simply saying she is not my superior. I am not really sure why this would wind you up so much.

Mo might be interested to discover how the original plan for partition was for all nine counties of Ulster to become Northern Ireland, but three of them were too republican to ensure a pro-British majority, so it was reduced to six.

I read a certain Arsenal blog yesterday laced with Stranglers references and had a little chuckle to myself.

To be fair, though, the idea behind partition was simply to keep Ulster Unionists from losing their shįt and beating the crap out of the rest of Ireland. There was no particular interest in retaining the province of Ulster for its own sake.

The big mistake everyone makes when thinking about the Troubles is thinking that it was solely about managing the republican problem. It wasn't. It was about the Brits managing the republican problem rather than the loyalists doing so, which would have been much, much uglier.
    Last edited by Burney; 03-21-2017 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Mowlam was a ghastly woman and, being a lefty, entirely biased towards the provos.
    I think it was more about turning up for meetings looking a mess and swearing a lot, which shocked the likes of yer straight-laced Trimbles and Co.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Yes. Although to be fair, she did have cancer.

Apparently she kept taking her wig off in meetings and grossing everyone out.
    Ah yes, that's right. I sort of used to confuse her with the Widdecombe harridan as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    I read a certain Arsenal blog yesterday laced with Stranglers references and had a little chuckle to myself.
    I read that too. Something Better Change indeed.