Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Well done for getting Wenger out.

Let the man work through his pain r. He clearly loved the old tit and concurred with his idea the a goal was worthless unless preceded by 20 minutes of intricate passing.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    Let the man work through his pain r. He clearly loved the old tit and concurred with his idea the a goal was worthless unless preceded by 20 minutes of intricate passing.
    Seen. Will do.

Mostly
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    Didn't have to be 20 mins, Herb. Just intricate. Jack vs Norwich, that Ozil to Rambo kung fu kick against some Ruskies or other.

I don't care if we lose, as long as we score some sexy goals. We can't compete financially, so let's just play 11 midget no.10s and hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post

I don't care if we lose, as long as we score some sexy goals. We can't compete financially, so let's just play 11 midget no.10s and hope for the best.
    Sir Alex Ferguson noted in his 2013 autobiography that United had developed a reliable formula to overcome Arsenal in the post-Invincibles age. Wenger won one of his last 13 league fixtures at Old Trafford and, during that time, Ferguson lost only four of his last 18 contests with Arsenal, winning 11.

"In later years we learned more about Arsenal’s thinking," Ferguson reflected in 2013. "Arsene had a template of how he sees his players and the way they play. We didn’t need to win the ball against Arsenal, we needed to intercept it. You need good players who can intercept.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    What utter f@cking nonsense. You do realise that Charles is on a wind up right? It’s actually only you that believes this garbage.

At 80 minutes we were 2-1 down and had controlled the majority of the match. Unai had it spot on, we just let ourselves down in the ‘final action’, just one of those days. Considering the defenders we were missing and that it could be argued that Cech might have done better on all three goals it is absurd to suggest Unai did anything wrong.

Unlike the Wenger days, there was no capitulation, no 8-2 or 6-1 hammering. The days of getting murdered by top four teams are now finally over it seems. Well done Unai.
    We had a lot of possession without purpose, but yes, we were still well in the game until he put Xhaka at CB. From that point on they looked like scoring every time they got the ball. Ridiculous.

Blaming it on Cech raised a smile, so well done on that.

Quote Originally Posted by AFC East View Post
    We had a lot of possession without purpose, but yes, we were still well in the game until he put Xhaka at CB. From that point on they looked like scoring every time they got the ball. Ridiculous.

Xhaka?

Given that the only other defensive options on the bench were Lichtsteiner or a rusty Monreal, Emery was between a rock and a hard place.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

He didn't blame Cech per se, merely has pointed out or suggested that he might have done better. Certainly his role in goal 3 was very poor.

Just one of those games AFC.

A bad night in N5 against a team absolutely buzzing with confidence at the moment, a very good team also to be fair.

I would disagree with WES on his assertion that we had controlled the majority of the game, a lot of possession but invariably a desire for one pass too many. Never really opened them up.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    He didn't blame Cech per se, merely has pointed out or suggested that he might have done better. Certainly his role in goal 3 was very poor.

Just one of those games AFC.

A bad night in N5 against a team absolutely buzzing with confidence at the moment, a very good team also to be fair.

I would disagree with WES on his assertion that we had controlled the majority of the game, a lot of possession but invariably a desire for one pass too many. Never really opened them up.
    Cech was at fault for the third goal, but so was the entire defensive unit. I can see no blame to him for the other two.

Indeed, we didn't open them up often. We lacked a player with a range of insightful passing.

As for Xhaka, we were clearly going to be facing pace. Monreal or AMN would have given us a better option. Xhaka has never looked remotely comfortable against quality at CB and was always going to be roasted if they won possession.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Didn't have to be 20 mins, Herb. Just intricate. Jack vs Norwich, that Ozil to Rambo kung fu kick against some Ruskies or other.

You are a different creature to Sir C. He finds goal scoring, and the attendant fuss surrounding the event, somewhat unseemly and vulgar. An English gentleman abhors triumphalism.

Cech was at fault for the third goal, but so was the entire defensive unit. I can see no blame to him for the other two.

Indeed, we didn't open them up often. We lacked a player with a range of insightful passing.

As for Xhaka, we were clearly going to be facing pace. Monreal or AMN would have given us a better option. Xhaka has never looked remotely comfortable against quality at CB and was always going to be roasted if they won possession.
    I am not disagreeing with you on GX at centre-half but his lack of pace was not the issue for the 3rd goal.

Pogba picked the ball up after it was carelessly lost by a combination of Lacazatte and Ozil, he then ran over half the pitch (at pace) right through the centre of our midfield and was not once challenged or even threatened with a challenge.

Have a look again and watch how Guendozi and Ozil make their way back and compare to Pogba. Guendozi in particular was not even ahead of the play when possession was lost.

Xhaka backed off, pace was not the problem.

Even then when the shot was badly parried out to Martial who puts it away the cameras keep running and still no sign of AMN in the right back position (he had actually been ahead of the ball when we lost it).

Plenty of errors but singling out GX in this case is incorrect.