Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
Well, quite. And the same goes for top managers going to big games "to WATCH Player A." Load o' bannicks.

They're just spending an evening at the match and catching up with some mates; having a kebab and a few strong lagers, just like folk do in any industry. They have the money to be almost anywhere, of course, but having made their names in football, The Football is the only environment in which they enjoy real status. Up West at the opera or the theatre, a Pep , for example, or a Wenger, would be just another mug punter or know-nothing **** with cash. Everyone would snigger at them behind their hands. What's he doing here, they'd whisper. A footballer, my dear! Probably thinks Puccini is a promising young Serie B full-back and "The Tales of Hoffman" is the memoirs of a junior member of West Germany's 1974 World Cup-winning squad lol.

However, at Swindon Town Seconds v Supermarine Reserves, or even at El Clasico, He is royalty. He is of The Elite, The Elect, The Worthy. The red carpet will be rolled out for them.
Broadly I would agree but I think Wenger is an awful example. He is probably the only manager in living memory who would qualify as a bit of a 'culture vulture'. The man was routinely ridiculed in football for being too clever