Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I find myself in the odd position this morning of supporting the Allans.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    How about you google what is being taught and tell me what you think instead?
    Nah - cant be bothered

A little indoctrination is good though! That's what I believe. And, speaking of children, what happens when your children come to resent you and wish that you were dead? Then only the state can come in and perform the task of guiding them towards normalcy. You take too much of the task upon yourself, and it won't work in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by eastgermanautos View Post
    A little indoctrination is good though! That's what I believe. And, speaking of children, what happens when your children come to resent you and wish that you were dead? Then only the state can come in and perform the task of guiding them towards normalcy. You take too much of the task upon yourself, and it won't work in the long run.
    Ah, the outsourcing of familial responsibility to the state: what could possibly go wrong?

To much reliance on one's parents leads to morbidity. It's better to ally oneself with one's contemporaries, forming a despotic cadre by which to crush any who would resist. The state exploits this impulse, it is true. But one can get around that.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post

Ultimately, I do not believe it is the place of the state to dictate to children what their beliefs should be.
    Well, somebody has to. And parents have long since bantered off their own responsibilities in that regard.

Anyway, school isn't really that important to anyone anymore, should never have been really (a fact that even thick, loser footballers like Troy Deeney seem to grasp better than the average school teacher or @depEd.gov budget racketeer. Or maybe not .. ).

But, as I say, that might actually be the whole trouble..
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

A close friend of my missus - a university scholar and PhD dr no less - recently talked about “if” her 8 year-old daughter starts her period.

When asked what she meant by “if”, she relied “well I don’t want to make any assumptions”.

So there we are. Parents are actually imparting their beliefs and values on their children more than ever. Just not in the way you might mean.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Well, somebody has to. And parents have long since bantered off their own responsibilities in that regard.

Anyway, school isn't really that important to anyone anymore, should never have been really (a fact that even thick, loser footballers like Troy Deeney seem to grasp better than the average school teacher or @depEd.gov budget racketeer. Or maybe not .. ).

But, as I say, that might actually be the whole trouble..

Right; parents qua parents, rather than parents as they represent their professional capacities. Naturally the two are not always mutually exclusive, if that's the word I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    A close friend of my missus - a university scholar and PhD dr no less - recently talked about “if” her 8 year-old daughter starts her period.

When asked what she meant by “if”, she relied “well I don’t want to make any assumptions”.

So there we are. Parents are aftually imparting their beliefs and values on their children more than ever. Just not in the way you mean.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post

So there we are. Parents are actually imparting their beliefs and values on their children more than ever. Just not in the way you might mean.
    Sounds like exactly the type of person one doesn't need or want as a friend. Never mind a close one.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Do you like Dick, I?

Philip K. Dick? He's all about that sort of thing; how people have become tragically alienated from humanity, especially their own.

M's exchange is remarkable in the fact that it takes place, not in a professional, progressive, politically correct setting, like a workplace. Rather that it happens in a (presumably) intimate, private environment between one "close friend" and another.

This "Dr." is such a thorough-going professional that she can no longer express herself as an normal human being, rather than something inhuman and somewhat sinister; a machine, regarding ordinary human facts of life and biology, in confidence to a chum. The tragedy is in the fact that there's no longer any real difference between the two; when it comes to who your friends are, everyone is like that.

By contrast, Deeney rejects the idea that representatives of the political/corporate "machine" (celebrities, colleagues) can be more suitable role models than actual biological, socially-contracted examples, like parents, children, family; even friends. Although, he does weaken his argument by framing this "biological, socially-contracted" obligation as "work": "If my kids look up to a man bigger and better than me, then that’s me not doing my job."

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    Sounds like exactly the type of person one doesn't need or want as a friend. Never mind a close one.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Philip K. Dick? He's all about that sort of thing; how people have become tragically alienated from humanity, especially their own.

M's exchange is remarkable in the fact that it takes place, not in a professional, progressive, politically correct setting, like a workplace. Rather that it happens in a (presumably) intimate, private environment between one "close friend" and another.

This "Dr." is such a thorough-going professional that she can no longer express herself as an normal human being, rather than something inhuman and somewhat sinister; a machine, regarding ordinary human facts of life and biology, in confidence to a chum. The tragedy is in the fact that there's no longer any real difference between the two; when it comes to who your friends are, everyone is like that.

By contrast, Deeney rejects the idea that representatives of the political/corporate "machine" (celebrities, colleagues) can be more suitable role models than actual biological, socially-contracted examples, like parents, children, family; even friends. Although, he does weaken his argument by framing this "biological, socially-contracted" obligation as "work": "If my kids look up to a man bigger and better than me, then that’s me not doing my job."
    You may be guilty of a little over-analysis here, r.

I mean the 'close friend' is obviously just a little bit of a ****. No more, no less.

I loved the original Bladerunner. Does that count?
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”