Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
It was interesting to me that his next door neighbour happened to have a device capable of recording sounds remarkably clearly through a wall, as well as the number of a Guardian journalist to hand. It's almost as if they've been anticipating raking up some muck.

On the other hand, Boris doesn't help himself, does he? If anyone can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, it's Boris.

He is also clearly a mendacious, immoral megalomaniacal halfwit. Not that any of that should influence whether his is PM, of course; but it is something to ponder the next time he does his amiable buffoon schtick.
Oh, the fact that it's such a clearly orchestrated campaign of smears is one of the things that's rendering it wholly ineffective. It really is ant the stage now that if you see the usual suspects on the warpath against Johnson, it only makes one more determined to vote for him. They probably hoped that he would do the damage for them by saying something idiotic, but since whoever's running his campaign is wisely limiting his public appearances, they're left to fall back on this sort of attack - which is wholly counterproductive.

And I hold no brief for Boris's soul - indeed I largely agree with you. However, I increasingly think such a person may be exactly what we need at this stage. We've had three years of the careful, considered, technocratic approach and here we still are. If what it takes to get us out is a wilful, capricious buffoon, then I'm all for it.