Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mince pies

Mince pies

Where do we stand on these things?

Just had my first and as ever, year after year, I find myself undecided.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post

Generally I find them dry, miserable excuses for a sweet snack. This year I'm going to make my own.

Meh.....the perfect description for them

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Generally I find them dry, miserable excuses for a sweet snack. This year I'm going to make my own.
    I like Waitrose Blumenthal wons and that's it. However, those in the know tell me they aren't really mince pies, which may explain why I like them.

Don't eat many but don't mind the odd one or two. At this time of year it is traditional for AWIMB to bitch and whine about the inadequacies of the unholy trio of mince pies, christmas pud and christmas cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Don't eat many but don't mind the odd one or two. At this time of year it is traditional for AWIMB to bitch and whine about the inadequacies of the unholy trio of mince pies, christmas pud and christmas cake.
    In my youth I rather enjoyed christmas pudding, but mainly as a vehicle for large dollops of cream.

Now I can't really bear the thought tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I like Waitrose Blumenthal wons and that's it. However, those in the know tell me they aren't really mince pies, which may explain why I like them.
    Why aren' they 'really' mince pies then?

I'm not going to lie to you, I've bought some pastry and a jar of mincemeat, to which I will add a decent amount of brandy, so I shall be assembling rather than really making.

You saw the final last night?

In my youth I rather enjoyed christmas pudding, but mainly as a vehicle for large dollops of cream.

I don't really eat puddings and sweet things anyway, as I'd rather fill myself up on meat and veg. I have a small amount of pud out of politeness seeing as someone has taken the trouble to prepare the bloody thing with, as you say, plenty of cream.

Were you a fat ******* as a kid? I imagine you were.

Why aren' they 'really' mince pies then?

I'm not going to lie to you, I've bought some pastry and a jar of mincemeat, to which I will add a decent amount of brandy, so I shall be assembling rather than really making.

You saw the final last night?
    They've got lemon curd in them as well as mincemeat, which makes them nice.

I did see it. Pleased for the little Scotcher as he seemed nice and was very good. Besides, he lives in Glasgow with five brats and a massive sow of a wife, so he needed something good to happen in his life.