Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: HRH the DoE retiring from public engagements.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Injuries mostly - seemed to come at the most inconvenient time. Had one Test in 1990. Died at only 43 as well
    Yes, I remember.

I'm 44 in June.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    A war hero who has selflessly served this country for the thick end of 80 years. We will never see his like again.

I will personally fight any lefty who wishes to besmirch his reputation.

Do you have to be a lefty to not particularly like the Royals or is that part of the definition of being a lefty?
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Balsam Rodriguez View Post
    Do you have to be a lefty to not particularly like the Royals or is that part of the definition of being a lefty?
    I think it helps with the definition of Lefty but not particularly true.

I have no particular allegiance to any party but think the royal family are nothing but an anachronistic bunch of parasites.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Balsam Rodriguez View Post
    Not at all, but as a rule of thumb, not all anti-royalists are lefties, but all lefties are anti-royalists.

It's disastrous from a Labour point of view, of course. There are an awful lot of what were once Labour supporters are repelled by that sort of reflexive anti-royalist, anti-patriotic sentiment. Still, if lefties knew or cared what real people thought, they wouldn't be lefties.

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    I think it helps with the definition of Lefty but not particularly true.

I have no particular allegiance to any party but think the royal family are nothing but an anachronistic bunch of parasites.
    A parasite is something which lives off another organism without giving anything back. It's impossible to justify applying that definition to the Royal family. The anachronism thing is entirely subjective. They are only an anachronism if you choose to see them as such.

I struggle to see the symbiotic nature of the royals and the public. They live in a big ****ing house in a prime bit of London, which is merely one of their properties, paid for by the public of which some get to wave at them occasionally.

I suppose tourists do wander around Green Park waiting for some very expensive military ceremony to take place on the royal's ****ing doorstep, but other than that . . .

I'm afraid we'll have to disagree on this one, b.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Do you mind? We're discussing the finer points of the off drive, here.
    Joe Root plays it pretty well too, in fairness. A far better all-round batsman than MP Vaughan.

Let's just hope his back doesn't get worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Joe Root plays it pretty well too, in fairness. A far better all-round batsman than MP Vaughan.

Let's just hope his back doesn't get worse.
    Without a doubt. Hopefully he'll give up the longer form of pyjama cricket after 2019 so it won't have to suffer that nonsense. 2020 should be fine.

Speaking of 50 overs stuff. Sounds like a great knock from Bairstow yesterday. Interesting that Billings will keep in the one-dayers against Ireland though

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    I struggle to see the symbiotic nature of the royals and the public. They live in a big ****ing house in a prime bit of London, which is merely one of their properties, paid for by the public of which some get to wave at them occasionally.

I suppose tourists do wander around Green Park waiting for some very expensive military ceremony to take place on the royal's ****ing doorstep, but other than that . . .

I'm afraid we'll have to disagree on this one, b.
    You realise that Her Majesty, anointed by God, is our Monarch, defender of the faith, and Empress of India? Do you think the British Empire rules two thirds of the world by accident?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Yes. You can't really get to the pitch properly with a crook knee and can end up hitting on the up through the line, which is risky if the ball deviates even slightly.
    Its psychological as well. Even when you do reach the pitch you tend to reach it late which throws the arms out of timing with the head and body. You are also reluctant to throw all your weight onto the front knee which means you don't get properly over the ball. I felt like I was striking the ball in front of me rather than under the eyes. I started punching down the ground rather than the full drive and where is the beauty in that.

Defensive strokes are ok on fuller deliveries but there is a temptation to reach a bit where you don't get to the pitch. That I could handle because I always had a great leave, but it certainly made it harder to judge.

Turning for the second run was no picnic either.