Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: As mistakes go, I think this one needs a bit more than a 'Whoops! Soz! Lol!'

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Apart from in Canterbury, perhaps. And all those constituencies where you think muslims are abusing the postal votes
    They are abusing the postal votes, p. If there weren’t widespread ballot-rigging in Labour’s favour, why would Labour be getting its knickers in a twist about a basic and perfectly reasonable requirement like having to show ID in order to vote?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    They are abusing the postal votes, p. If there weren’t widespread ballot-rigging in Labour’s favour, why would Labour be getting its knickers in a twist about a basic and perfectly reasonable requirement like having to show ID in order to vote?
    Do you have to show ID when you vote?

Its a tactic that has always been used to disenfranchise the poor and minorities.

I am ashamed of you, b. You are a modern day Jim Crowe.

Do you have to show ID when you vote?

Its a tactic that has always been used to disenfranchise the poor and minorities.

I am ashamed of you, b. You are a modern day Jim Crowe.
    I have no problem showing ID to vote. We require people to show ID in order to open a bank account, buy cigarettes, knives, medicines and alcohol, get married, pick up a parcel from the post office, etc, etc, etc. Why would we not require it so that someone can prove they are who they say they are when doing something so fundamental to our system as voting?

We're not living in 1920s Alabama, p. These are not illiterate sharecroppers we're talking about. ID is something everyone has in one form or another.

I have no problem showing ID to vote. We require people to show ID in order to open a bank account, buy cigarettes, knives, medicines and alcohol, get married, pick up a parcel from the post office, etc, etc, etc. Why would we not require it so that someone can prove they are who they say they are when doing something so fundamental to our system as voting?

We're not living in 1920s Alabama, p. These are not illiterate sharecroppers we're talking about. ID is something everyone has in one form or another.
    My glw, who had never voted until we met, was amazed she didn't have to provide any ID to vote.

We're not living in 1920s Alabama, p.
    No thanks to you

You'd love that, wouldnt you.

Just for the record, this is still going on in american even today.

No thanks to you

You'd love that, wouldnt you.

Just for the record, this is still going on in american even today.
    Harsh on b - not sure the weather would suit him for a start

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Harsh on b - not sure the weather would suit him for a start
    He has a deep and lasting affection for the Deep South. Not the viscious, brutal, enduring racism so much as the legacy of states rights and the right of peoples to freedom from a centrist tyranny that destroys their way of life.

THen of course there's the racism

He has a deep and lasting affection for the Deep South. Not the viscious, brutal, enduring racism so much as the legacy of states rights and the right of peoples to freedom from a centrist tyranny that destroys their way of life.

THen of course there's the racism
    Which is ironic as I can't imagine an environment to which he and his misanthropic tendencies are less suited.

My experience in the southern United States is that it is filled with happy, amiable people who like nothing more than a casual chat, often to people they have never met. It is filled with cheery smiles and casual 'good mornings' to strangers walking past, endless sunny days and an unfailingly positive attitude towards all that life has to offer and a general ambiance of bonhomie which often results in intimate conversations with complete strangers who behave as though they have known you all their lives and would do pretty much anything for you.

Burney would f*cking hate every last minute of it.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Which is ironic as I can't imagine an environment to which he and his misanthropic tendencies are less suited.

My experience in the southern United States is that it is filled with happy, amiable people who like nothing more than a casual chat, often to people they have never met. It is filled with cheery smiles and casual 'good mornings' to strangers walking past, endless sunny days and an unfailingly positive attitude towards all that life has to offer and a general ambiance of bonhomie which often results in intimate conversations with complete strangers who behave as though they have known you all their lives and would do pretty much anything for you.

Burney would f*cking hate every last minute of it.
    Maybe. But then he likes that as well, which is also why he reads The Guardian

Maybe. But then he likes that as well, which is also why he reads The Guardian
    Fair point. Imagine how often each and every day he would be outraged!

He'd be in heaven.