Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
But I'm not talking about a moratorium. I'm talking about a shift in attitudes whereby eating dead animals comes with a social stigma.

In the case of prostitution, many people believe it should be legalised on the basis of libertarian values and/or pragmatism, whereby prostitutes would be better treated and safer if it was legal.

In other words, we are pretty close to a scenario in which being a licensed brothel owner or a pimp would go some way to losing its social stigma. But if you operated out of these regulatory parameters, say as a sex trafficker, the stigma would remain. And equally for those who use illegal or sex trafficked prostitutes instead of legal ones.

In a world in which animal farming was more strictly regulated, is it not possible that treating chickens as terribly as we do now would come with a similar social stigma?
I think it's naive to suggest that whoremongering is ever going to lose its social stigma. In a society that values sexual fidelity in women, whoring will always have a stigma.

As things stand in general society, eating dead animals has zero social stigma - none. Where is the impetus going to come from to change that? Where is this stigma going to come from? Vegetarians and vegans? No-one really cares what they think. They've been banging on about it for years and the world is eating more meat than ever before.