Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: In response to #Metoo, this year's Geneva Motor Show has replaced its "booth babes"

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Is that how you interpret the Brexit vote? That young people dont care about democracy as much as their parents?
    I think it's a factor, certainly, but that wasn't my point. My point was that to have arrived at a situation where kids are allowed to grow up without a single fvcking clue about how lucky they are or why is terrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I think it's a factor, certainly, but that wasn't my point. My point was that to have arrived at a situation where kids are allowed to grow up without a single fvcking clue about how lucky they are or why is terrifying.
    But the left would throw that exact same charge back at us. For example, in relation to gender equality, they'd say that we've grown complacent about the progress that's been made and that slipping back into the bad old days is a persistent threat, even if it doesn't feel like it.

It really doesnt sound remotely terrifying. Just the standard cry of each generation about the next.

It really doesnt sound remotely terrifying. Just the standard cry of each generation about the next.
    Perhaps the terrifying bit is that there isn't or will be no next generation this time? That the next generation, such as it is, will in fact be all undesirable immigrant, redgunamo-types? Whither everyone's traditional way of life? Old maids bicycling to communion through the morning mists and a' that
    Last edited by redgunamo; 03-08-2018 at 03:36 PM.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    But the left would throw that exact same charge back at us. For example, in relation to gender equality, they'd say that we've grown complacent about the progress that's been made and that slipping back into the bad old days is a persistent threat, even if it doesn't feel like it.
    But that simply doesn't stand up to scrutiny. The achievements of wimmin are being repeatedly shoved down our throats at every level of education, academia and media.
    What the left is doing is simply applying the Marxist/Trotskyist principle of permanent revolution to the sphere of identity politics. The only way to maintain momentum and prevent backsliding is to be constantly demanding change - even where none is needed.

Meanwhile, of course, all this noise serves to mask the fact that the greatest actual threats to women's rights come from the left's advocacy of Islam and transgenderism.

No. It's different because it's arse about face. The older generation is supposed to be the po-faced, narrow-minded, illiberal one. That's not the case anymore. Our younger generation seem to want less freedom, not more.

No. It's different because it's arse about face. The older generation is supposed to be the po-faced, narrow-minded, illiberal one. That's not the case anymore. Our younger generation seem to want less freedom, not more.
    As P suggests, all any younger generation seems to want is the freedom to escape the pernicious influence of their parents. Nobody ever said anything about parents yearning to escape the pernicious influence of their children
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Right, but that is based on your definition of the horribly *******ised word 'freedom'. The younger generation, on campuses, want freedom from oppression, and from oppressive views. THey think we can only be free when we all agre that certain things (gays, women, gender, ethnicity, rape etc) have absolute truths and can only be discussed within those absolutes. THe freedom to be who you are (as long as it isnt a straight, white, english male). They are willing to accept a curtailment of your generation's old fashioned view of freedom of speech/thought/expression in order to create this 'free from judgement' utopia.

They are not campaigning to be less free. Its a new birth of freedom.

Its just the sort of bull**** people come out with when they are young. I used to make up all sorts of ****e about what I wanted when really it was just beer, fags, speed and acid.

Right, but that is based on your definition of the horribly *******ised word 'freedom'. The younger generation, on campuses, want freedom from oppression, and from oppressive views. THey think we can only be free when we all agre that certain things (gays, women, gender, ethnicity, rape etc) have absolute truths and can only be discussed within those absolutes. THe freedom to be who you are (as long as it isnt a straight, white, english male). They are willing to accept a curtailment of your generation's old fashioned view of freedom of speech/thought/expression in order to create this 'free from judgement' utopia.

They are not campaigning to be less free. Its a new birth of freedom.

Its just the sort of bull**** people come out with when they are young. I used to make up all sorts of ****e about what I wanted when really it was just beer, fags, speed and acid.
    Yes, but in those days we had adults who were prepared to tell us to shut up because we were clueless little cvnts. These days, the idiots are pandered to and encouraged in these ridicules notions by adults in positions of authority who really ought to know better.

Yes, but in those days we had adults who were prepared to tell us to shut up because we were clueless little cvnts. These days, the idiots are pandered to and encouraged in these ridicules notions by adults in positions of authority who really ought to know better.
    Yes, I know. And it is your job to be outraged by it.

Face it, b....you are as much a cliche as the gender free students standing for election as President of the SU on a platform of 'ridding the world of gender bias and hatred forever!'........

You shouldn't worry for the future of humanity because it isn't your concern and there is **** all you can do about it anyway. Let the young people have their day.

I blame rock n roll for inventing youth culture. THat is where the world went to ****.