Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Any c*nt that tells me I "would have taken that before the game"

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    They were bankrolled by their owners, something our owner didn't do through choice....and yet again, please point out where I say we should have gone into more debt, I know you like making things up but please stop showing how big an arse you are on this subject
    We had no 'owner' until last year when Usmanov sold up last year, ffs! We have never been 'bankrolled' and have always had to operate using only what's on our balance sheet. Given which, the only way for us to access more funds would have been by running on debt.

All of which, of course, supports my point. Wenger never had the money to spend that his rivals did.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Misleading. That figure only adds up if you base it on cost of squads. He actually spent around £180 million between buying Leicester and their league win.
    and Arsenal spent £220m in the same period.

Yes, Arsenal recovered significant amounts in transfers out.

Would that suggest that Lester spent their money more wisely than AW / The Arsenal?
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

We had no 'owner' until last year when Usmanov sold up last year, ffs! We have never been 'bankrolled' and have always had to operate using only what's on our balance sheet. Given which, the only way for us to access more funds would have been by running on debt.

All of which, of course, supports my point. Wenger never had the money to spend that his rivals did.
    OR we could have stayed at THoF and still be winning leagues...
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post

Would that suggest that Lester spent their money more wisely than AW / The Arsenal?
    Sure. And more wisely than United, Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea and City, of course.

The point is that, while Leicester's win was an aberration, it was still the consequence of massive injection of cash in a very short period and not quite the aberration it's made out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post

Is spent only transfer fees, or are we including some of the very high wages we gave to players? I believe AW was in charge of that side of the business as well
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

To be fair...we all knew Emery would need this season to get to grips with the squad and make the appropriate changes.

He was quite keen on trying to improve some of them ie his supposed interview dossier but some of the players are utterly brainless / washed up.

He’s done well in some areas (improved performances / results against the top sides) and not so good in other areas (poor away form).

His tinkering has worked for some games and not so good in others. We got vital points from some games because of it and lost points in others because of it.

Main thing was him understanding what he’s working with and make the appropriate changes over the course of a couple summer transfer windows.

He hasn’t been helped by long term injuries and the inept / poor firm of some players as well as some of the decisions being made by other elements in the club (poor contract negotiations meaning we’ve reached out salary cap and even if we had the funds couldn’t bring anyone in) and the decision to mug Sven off who I thought was doing a decent job...Leno, Torreira and Gwen are all bargain signings Wenger would’ve been proud of imo

Holding and Bellerin were extremely critical injuries because they genuinely looked like they were back on track to being top class players. Not so much with Welbeck but he would’ve provided us with so many extra attacking options.

The summer will be interesting...

For people wanting Emery out...just think who his replacement might because there’s a strong case for Sol23 getting the job.

But that misses the rather crucial point that had we had that kind of money, then we wouldn't have had Wenger. We simply wouldn't have needed him in the first place

"Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Tony C View Post
    To be fair...we all knew Emery would need this season to get to grips with the squad and make the appropriate changes.

He was quite keen on trying to improve some of them ie his supposed interview dossier but some of the players are utterly brainless / washed up.

He’s done well in some areas (improved performances / results against the top sides) and not so good in other areas (poor away form).

His tinkering has worked for some games and not so good in others. We got vital points from some games because of it and lost points in others because of it.

Main thing was him understanding what he’s working with and make the appropriate changes over the course of a couple summer transfer windows.

He hasn’t been helped by long term injuries and the inept / poor firm of some players as well as some of the decisions being made by other elements in the club (poor contract negotiations meaning we’ve reached out salary cap and even if we had the funds couldn’t bring anyone in) and the decision to mug Sven off who I thought was doing a decent job...Leno, Torreira and Gwen are all bargain signings Wenger would’ve been proud of imo

Holding and Bellerin were extremely critical injuries because they genuinely looked like they were back on track to being top class players. Not so much with Welbeck but he would’ve provided us with so many extra attacking options.

The summer will be interesting...

For people wanting Emery out...just think who his replacement might because there’s a strong case for Sol23 getting the job.
    The FGY for me would represent absolutely outstanding banter.

CaZAbVjUsAAZth8.jpg

Wenger brought us two FA Cups and a second-place finish in his last four seasons.

One could argue that finishing 2nd to Leicester constitutes a bit of a bad season When your main rivals fail, why have you not taken advantage etc etc. Of course there may be a number of actual reasons for this, who really knows?
    "Scoring a goal is better than sex" - Whoever said that was sticking it to the wrong woman

If I say Object A is 'impressive' and bemoan the fact that I don't own Object A because I hung on too long to Object X, the clear implication is that Object B that I do now have by virtue of hanging on too long to Object X is not 'impressive'.

Something that is not 'impressive' is, by definition 'unimpressive'.

This is not difficult.
    Correct it is not difficult but it seems to be beyond you this morning.

Emery was the right choice given the options, he has an impressive record and hiring him made sense. I would have preferred Pochettino or Klopp however as I was even more impressed with their work.

This entirely consistent with what I posted but in no way should lead you to the conclusion that Emery is ‘not impressive ‘ in my view.