Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: HRH the DoE retiring from public engagements.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Here he is, in fact, flying a Turbulent. (I subsequently flew that exact aircraft, so I'm now semi-royal.)

Attachment 595
    That seems a rather silly little plane. Shouldn't it be bigger than that?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    He was. And I loved watching him as a bat. It was frustrating the way he declined and allowed technical errors to creep into his game - such as missing straight ones on off stump. Although how much of that was down to the fact that his knee was fûcked I couldn't say.
    A lot to do with it I would guess. My knee was knackered in my last couple of seasons and it made driving off the front foot and judging line much more difficult.

Some of his knocks in his peak years were outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    It was always a flaw in his game but definitely exacerbated by the knee problem. He was also always quite a **** fielder which is weird for a batsman in the modern age
    Sometimes, if I didn't know better than to think a top pro could suffer from such a schoolboy flaw, I could have sworn he got his head up when going for those big, booming drives

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    A lot to do with it I would guess. My knee was knackered in my last couple of seasons and it made driving off the front foot and judging line much more difficult.

Some of his knocks in his peak years were outstanding.
    Yes. You can't really get to the pitch properly with a crook knee and can end up hitting on the up through the line, which is risky if the ball deviates even slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I have no specific beef with the drunken old racist. There are no heroes in war, Sir C.
    I was on the staff at Buck House for a time. I wish him well, decent bloke, imo.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    I was on the staff at Buck House for a time. I wish him well, decent bloke, imo.
    Do you mind? We're discussing the finer points of the off drive, here.

He was. And I loved watching him as a bat. It was frustrating the way he declined and allowed technical errors to creep into his game - such as missing straight ones on off stump. Although how much of that was down to the fact that his knee was fûcked I couldn't say.
    Almost all of it, I'd say. Perhaps he could've adapted but it surely cannot be an easy thing to do at the top level.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

That seems a rather silly little plane. Shouldn't it be bigger than that?
    It's a death trap, to be honest. It has a VW Beetle engine of around 40 bhp and can barely drag itself into the air. Anything more than a rate 1 turn is highly likely to end up with a dynamic stall/spin and subsequent painful connection with terra firma. I've no idea what they were for, really. It's a sort of Tiger Club tradition; you have to survive an amount of Turb flying to be a real Tiger Club pilot.

Here they are at an air show. Going very, very slowly.

turbs.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Sorry. Running a little late.

He was. I remember him bowling with Cowans for Middlesex and thinking he was seriously rapid. Why did he never break through?
    Injuries mostly - seemed to come at the most inconvenient time. Had one Test in 1990. Died at only 43 as well