Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So it's 14 units a week now is it?

So it's 14 units a week now is it?

Used to be 28 as I recall. Then it magically went to 21. Now it's down to 14. How long to 7?

Amazing that the human body - a product of arbitrary genetic change and the evolutionary process - should develop into something which experiences the negative impact of another substance linearly with the number 7.

That, or more likely, the whole thing is a load of unscientific nonsense promoted by a group of people who seem to think it is their job to tell us how to live, as opposed to helping us live longer.

Tossers. And to make it worse, they now have a program rattling on about it that features another tosser.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45258081

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Used to be 28 as I recall. Then it magically went to 21. Now it's down to 14. How long to 7?

Amazing that the human body - a product of arbitrary genetic change and the evolutionary process - should develop into something which experiences the negative impact of another substance linearly with the number 7.

That, or more likely, the whole thing is a load of unscientific nonsense promoted by a group of people who seem to think it is their job to tell us how to live, as opposed to helping us live longer.

Tossers. And to make it worse, they now have a program rattling on about it that features another tosser.

14 units is about a litre of wine.

A litre of wine. One and a quarter bottles of wine. Per week.

Seriously, these people are mental. Surely the human body cannot survive on one litre per week?

When pressed, they are forced to admit the limits are wholly arbitrary and largely meaningless. Different countries have different limits, ffs! Are we really supposed to believe that a Spaniard can resist the negative medical effects of alcohol nearly three times as well as a Briton? Because that's what their recommendations would appear to suggest.

It's total balls. 14 units wouldn't fill a hollow tooth, ffs.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/dat...-of-the-worlds

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    14 units is about a litre of wine.

A litre of wine. One and a quarter bottles of wine. Per week.

Seriously, these people are mental. Surely the human body cannot survive on one litre per week?
    It might do for a decent lunch if one had to go back to the office afterwards.
    Last edited by Burney; 08-21-2018 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    When pressed, they are forced to admit the limits are wholly arbitrary and largely meaningless. Different countries have different limits, ffs! Are we really supposed to believe that a Spaniard can resist the negative medical effects of alcohol nearly three times as well as a Briton? Because that's what their recommendations would appear to suggest.

I asked my GP about it once and he admitted that the entire thing was nonsense. Note only does it not consider the person's size or general health and fitness, but the limit is the point at which they believe you can begin to detect any impact at all. If that impact is tiny, you could extrapolate out to 60 to 70 units a week and find that the impact is still miniscule.

Admittedly, I say this on the back of a week where I achieved an historic level of sobriety only to discover that I totaled 36 units.

I asked my GP about it once and he admitted that the entire thing was nonsense. Note only does it not consider the person's size or general health and fitness, but the limit is the point at which they believe you can begin to detect any impact at all. If that impact is tiny, you could extrapolate out to 60 to 70 units a week and find that the impact is still miniscule.

Admittedly, I say this on the back of a week where I achieved an historic level of sobriety only to discover that I totaled 36 units.
    I had 50 pints of Guinness over 5 and a half nights in Malaysia. I feel fine.

Its all *******s.

Aha! This is purely about equality. Its outrageous that men were 'allowed' to drink more than women so they have brought the two into line.

It's a women's issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I had 50 pints of Guinness over 5 and a half nights in Malaysia. I feel fine.

Its all *******s.
    How were your bowel movements?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Aha! This is purely about equality. Its outrageous that men were 'allowed' to drink more than women so they have brought the two into line.

It's a women's issue.
    But women don't have pen1ses, p. I think this means they have less room to store it in.

How were your bowel movements?
    No particular problems, although I did have an issue with an omelette on day two. That quickly passed.

I find Guinness pretty gentle on the stomach and the head. The hangovers are pretty mild.

I'll bet it did.

I agree about Guinness. It's always been as mother's milk to me, though.