Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones was ****ing ace :cloud9:

Quote Originally Posted by 7sisters View Post
    Dramatic license and all that but with the Night King’s ability to raise *all* dead at will, one wonders how the twenty or so good guys managed to hold off legion upon legion for quite so long.
    Also, given this ability, you'd have thought some priority would have been given to the dragons burning the dead?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I think a lot of people are complaining that it felt like a Deus Ex Machina ending, but what was anyone expecting?
    Ah, the old Infinite Improbability Drive. What else are you supposed to do against an opponent who is basically cheating all the way. "Nope. None of your goals count. They all get chalked off and given to me instead."

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Ah, the old Infinite Improbability Drive. What else are you supposed to do against an opponent who is basically cheating all the way. "Nope. None of your goals count. They all get chalked off and given to me instead."
    Like trying to fight Mike Riley.

What were they complaining about?

Arya was always my fave character. wd the ninja assassin. Splintered the enemy good and proper. Like chucking a ring of power in Mount Doom.
    Lots are complaining about Cersei seemingly being the "main boss". They think after 8 seasons of build up the Night King and the threat beyond the wall was defeated too easily. At the end of the day he was just a really strong bloke who could raise the dead. The fact he could be defeated by the stab of a Valyrian steel blade made him just as vulnerable as a mortal man. Arya was the perfect choice for the job.

Someone posted this on reddit which i thought was rather good.

**** your theories. **** Azor Ahai. **** the Night King.

I am convinced that the comic book guys on here never watched the show or read the books.

"We need to learn what his motivations were"

There's a whole episode on that - he was created by the COTF to wage war on mankind. Because of the manner of his creation, he also bore a grudge against his creators. He had no noble purpose, no activating reason, beyond wishing to destroy all life. What more do we need?

"But we never got a fight, dude died without ever swinging the sword in anger"

Yes, but whose fault is that? Throughout the series, we see the Night King avoiding one on one combat. He hangs back from the fight at Hardhome. He always keeps a ring of dead ****ers around him. And last night, he had the chance to take on Jon 1 on 1, and what do we see happen? He runs from a fight again.

"But muh theories are clear - he was to be killed by Azor Ahai, the Prince that Was Promised"

**** your theories. **** Azor Ahai. **** the Night King.

They were always just that - theories. The Arya endgame was there in front of all our eyes and we missed it. The dagger was there, in front of our eyes, and we missed it. "What do we say to the God of Death" was there, in front of our eyes, and we missed it. The flaming sword? It was there. The move she used to kill him? She practised it on Brienne JUST LAST SEASON, right in front of our eyes. The Prince who would lead the army of the living? He's right there. The battle between Ice and Fire? A whole episode about it, we just watched.

"But Arya just teleported to the Tree"

How far away do you guys think the Godswood is from the castle, exactly? She had plenty of time. She's a trained silent assassin.
    What did you want? A speech? "I must kill the Night King, that's what you mean, Melisandre. All right. I shall go now to the Godswood. And the cameras shall follow me, to kill all suspense".
    "But it's not plausible that Muh Night King could be killed by the person who snuck inside the Twins, one of the most impregnable castles in the realm. It's not plausible that he could be killed by someone trained by the most fearsome and feared assassin's guild in the known world. It's not possible that this person who we've literally seen sneaking around and hiding in plain sight could sneak up on someone who didn't know she existed". Listen to yourselves.

The episode wasn't perfect. In places it was badly shot. They chickened out on some deaths (Brienne, for example, would have packed an emotional punch, or Gilly and the baby, or Grey Worm).

But this argument about the plot is neckbeard bull****. Classic "I'm not emotionally satisfied so it's bad". Well, you guys are going to be so pissed when Daenarys and Jon take the throne in the end and usher in a new era of peace. I can't wait.
    Last edited by Billy Goat Sverige; 04-30-2019 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post
    Lots are complaining about Cersei seemingly being the "main boss". They think after 8 seasons of build up the Night King and the threat beyond the wall was defeated too easily. At the end of the day he was just a really strong bloke who could raise the dead. The fact he could be defeated by the stab of a Valyrian steel blade made him just as vulnerable as a mortal man. Arya was the perfect choice for the job.
    Exactly. It's the Chekhov's gun principle. You don't introduce a baddie's fatal weakness and then not make it the source of his downfall.

Besides, the fact is that the human aspects of GoT have always been more interesting than the magic and dragons, so it's fitting that they should form the basis of the denouement.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post

Someone posted this on reddit which i thought was rather good.
    Presumably, the same people would have been just as unhappy if the dragon ridden by Danaerys had just burnt him to a crisp. This despite the fact that there was no narrative justification for his ability to withstand fire - it was done solely to ensure he died by the means that had always been outlined.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal Alcoholic Review View Post
    It was waank. You may as well have been watching a marvel movie and the 'baddie' just turns out to be a generic shyte comic book villain with no intrigue or reason to his methods before finally being shanked by some wee girl. 1 star.
    Some wee girl?

Have you not seen her development and achievements in the previous series? Also, there is a strong president in this genre for the small stealthy type to deliver the blow which destroys the Dark Lord along with all of his minions.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Presumably, the same people would have been just as unhappy if the dragon ridden by Danaerys had just burnt him to a crisp. This despite the fact that there was no narrative justification for his ability to withstand fire - it was done solely to ensure he died by the means that had always been outlined.
    He'd already demonstrated his fire resistance, ISTR.

Some wee girl?

Have you not seen her development and achievements in the previous series? Also, there is a strong president in this genre for the small stealthy type to deliver the blow which destroys the Dark Lord along with all of his minions.
    It wasn't Gandalf or Aragorn who delivered the final blow, they were just the distraction to allow the little folk to do the important bit.

He'd already demonstrated his fire resistance, ISTR.
    Had he? Are you sure? Only if that was the case, wouldn't it rather have undercut the drama of the scene where she flamed him for a good minute or so?