Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
For once you make a decent and valid point Dick, however if these people are so gullible as to believe the claims or promises of a politician then surely there is an argument they should not be allowed to vote.
The problem, I believe, with this level of cynicism is that it taps into the prevalent notion that people are stupid and shouldn't be allowed to vote - as we saw in the fury following the EU referendum. The alternative is to be ruled forever by 'experts' and technocrats who claim to know what is best for other people.

A analogy could be made, if you will forgive me, to the view of Monty (and others) that football fans are too stupid to be allowed into the ground where their lack of understanding of the game, and possibly vocal pronouncements on that basis, can only damage the outcome of the match.

British poltitics once consisted of solely of the whims of a King. Slowly over the centuries power was wrested down the ladder, and now everyone has a vote. I believe this is not something that should be given away.

Democracy In!