Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: When Wembley Park was ... a park.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    But of course society was much more violent in general. It's unimaginable now that you could get beaten up in the street for liking the wrong type of music. Or just walking into the environs of a skinhead.

Today's nancyboy snowflakes wouldn't last 5 minutes on the streets of 1970s London.
    Indeed.

But somethings never change. At least The Met are still an unapproachable bunch of fúcking arséholes :consistent:
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    And preferable to watching what was happening on the actual pitch, I suppose.
    Oh no, that stuff was fascinating. Jennings rolled the ball to Rice. It went square to O'Leary, then across to Young, who moved it over to NNelson. He passed infield to Young, who gave it to O'Leary, who passed it back to Jennings. Jennings picked it up, bounced it several times, then ****ed it up in the air. Stapleton nodded it on to... their centre half, who ****ed it back into our half, where it was retrived by O'Leary who passed it back to Jennings. He rolled it out to Rice... zzzzzzzzzzzz

In the late 70s I had to stop day-dreaming and remind myself that I was watching a football match. O'Leary back to the keeper. Roll out. Rinse and repeat.

There was nothing wrong with a desolate nil-nil back in the day, b

It was standing in a river of piss that made it exciting...
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    Fairly wild on the terraces back then, when you think about it.

It was simply, normal, at the time.

At least when the fighting was pushed back out on the streets you could eat your pasty/pie with only half a worry it would be knocked out of your hand, when previously it would 100% happen.
    I always liked the way at West Ham when it kicked off there'd be a huge cheer and all the coppers would come trooping out of that building in the south-west corner of the ground amid jeering, mockery and the singing of the Laurel & Hardy theme tune. Eventually, some scrote would be seen being dragged out of the ground in front of the south terrace while everyone sang 'LOYAL SUPPORTER!'

There was a certain amount of pantomime to it.

But of course society was much more violent in general. It's unimaginable now that you could get beaten up in the street for liking the wrong type of music. Or just walking into the environs of a skinhead.

Today's nancyboy snowflakes wouldn't last 5 minutes on the streets of 1970s London.
    Yes, although I saw this the other day and thought there might be some hope for us.

https://twitter.com/MattTurner4L/sta...76962248671232

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    Indeed.

But somethings never change. At least The Met are still an unapproachable bunch of fúcking arséholes :consistent:
    I must have been about 12 when, lost in London, I approached a poiliceman, as briefed by my parents, and asked for directions. He pointed in the approximate direction of, 'away' whilst asking, "Do I look like an A to Z?"

Yes, although I saw this the other day and thought there might be some hope for us.

https://twitter.com/MattTurner4L/sta...76962248671232
    Yes, I saw that. It's rather good, isn't it? Perhaps we still are a warrior race at heart.

Oh no, that stuff was fascinating. Jennings rolled the ball to Rice. It went square to O'Leary, then across to Young, who moved it over to NNelson. He passed infield to Young, who gave it to O'Leary, who passed it back to Jennings. Jennings picked it up, bounced it several times, then ****ed it up in the air. Stapleton nodded it on to... their centre half, who ****ed it back into our half, where it was retrived by O'Leary who passed it back to Jennings. He rolled it out to Rice... zzzzzzzzzzzz
    That is my abiding memory of my early football matches. I still think people underestimate the extent tow which outlawing the backpass transformed the game. Even more so than three points for a win imo.

Don Lett's fillum on Skinheads the other week was worth a look imo. Might still be on BBC4 iPlayer.

Chap who sits next to me used to be a skinhead. Now sells insurance to churches, mosques and synagogues.