Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Open-topped bus parade on the 28th :cloud9:

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    You on the gear, red? The FA Cup is always more important than some quasi 4th place trophy nonsense.

Always.
    Might I make so bold as to clarify something?

The 'fourth place trophy' idea with which so many like to bash our greatest ever manager stems from a perfectly reasonable comment. He said that fourth place was 'like a trophy', which, indeed, it is, since every club achieving CL qualification celebrates it as a success.

'Like a trophy'. Not, 'is a trophy'. 'Like a trophy.'

It takes either an incredibly lazy, or incredibly vindictive mindset to continually beat Arsene around the head by warping a perfectly reasonable comment.

Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    I mean, we are still on course to win both.
    Ah, I see. Lord knows how I was meant to understand that given what you posted, but then again if we understood you, you would lose some of your charm, red.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post

The 'fourth place trophy' idea with which so many like to bash our greatest ever manager stems from a perfectly reasonable comment. He said that fourth place was 'like a trophy', which, indeed, it is, since every club achieving CL qualification celebrates it as a success.

It takes either an incredibly lazy, or incredibly vindictive mindset to continually beat Arsene around the head by warping a perfectly reasonable comment.

Carry on.
    Footballistically, it's *******s though. I'm convinced He wishes He'd never said it, especially in front of the men.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

You on the gear, red? The FA Cup is always more important than some quasi 4th place trophy nonsense.

Always.
    Would you feel the same if you discovered that Sanchez would only stay if we qualified for the CL?

Footballistically, it's *******s though. I'm convinced He wishes He'd never said it, especially in front of the men.
    No it's not. It's an absolutely valid point.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post

Carry on.
    Certainly you can clarify it, and you have every right to hold that view, of course.

And others have every right to disagree. And those who disagree would argue that it is nothing like a trophy at all and shouldn't in any way be celebrated as such. I would be one of those people and my view has nothing to do with my attitude towards Wenger, it has everything to do with much of what I consider to be wrong about modern day football.

Avoiding relegation is celebrated as a success as well. Is that like a trophy? I think not.

He's repeated it since

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Would you feel the same if you discovered that Sanchez would only stay if we qualified for the CL?
    Yes, absolutely.

BTW, Sanchez will stay if we pay him what he wants regardless of CL football. Which is just another reason that the 'like a trophy' theory is nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    He's repeated it since
    Sure. Having said it once, He's committed to it. Even more so with the way things have gone.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Certainly you can clarify it, and you have every right to hold that view, of course.

And others have every right to disagree. And those who disagree would argue that it is nothing like a trophy at all and shouldn't in any way be celebrated as such. I would be one of those people and my view has nothing to do with my attitude towards Wenger, it has everything to do with much of what I consider to be wrong about modern day football.

Avoiding relegation is celebrated as a success as well. Is that like a trophy? I think not.
    If, on Sunday (having won tonight), we find ourselves ahead against Everton and in the last moments news filters through that Boro have scored an unlikely equaliser at Anfield, how would you describe the ensuing scenes you may be likely to witness around The Emirates?