Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Bosnian media reporting the Liverpool assistant will be our next

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Why ever not? What harm can it do? Everyone keeps telling me it doesn't really matter who the manager is now, anyway. It's all being run by chaps with giant brains behind the scenes, apparently.
    That's just me, I think. Most seem to believe the choice of manager is of paramount importance. Crazy, imo.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post

Highly respected and reportedly a fantastic coach.
    Damning the fellow with faint praise, imo. People with real, tangible achievements (let's say trophies, league titles) are almost never described that way.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    The chap is nearly 57 and hasn’t managed in his life. Talk about a ‘bold’ appointment. Not sure a job like Arsenal manager is for him at this stage.

Perhaps I can tolerate this if it’s as Allegri’s number 2 but Buvac is now bookies favourite .

I hate Arsenal.
    Inclined to agree. Your first job as a manager should not be at a top club. If the guy is a promising talent then let him prove it first at Swindon Town or somewhere like that, not in the Premier League.

It seems sort of like a reverse Jerry Collins; legendary career, almost fifty caps for New Zealand, eventually earned the right to turn out for the Barnstaple RFC seconds and wear their stockings at Twickenham with the Barbarians

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Inclined to agree. Your first job as a manager should not be at a top club. If the guy is a promising talent then let him prove it first at Swindon Town or somewhere like that, not in the Premier League.

It seems sort of like a reverse Jerry Collins; legendary career, almost fifty caps for New Zealand, eventually earned the right to turn out for the Barnstaple RFC seconds and wear their stockings at Twickenham with the Barbarians
    Zidane, Mourinho, Guardiola, etc do not like this

Hmm - not sure Mourinho really counts in that respect. He lasted two months in his first role at Benfica and then cut his teeth at União de Leiria

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Hmm - not sure Mourinho really counts in that respect. He lasted two months in his first role at Benfica and then cut his teeth at União de Leiria
    And Zidane & Pep were hardly faced with a dearth of talent at their respective clubs. This ignores the fact that Buvac supposedly dislikes the media spotlight etc. How would he really cope with facing several interviews per week?

Sorry a dog made off with my sandwich before I could add the obvious caveat. Took me a while to run her down.

A new-bug manager who is "of the club" is fine, of course. Steve Bould for instance. ZZ at Madrid or Pep at Barcelona etc.

It's not really about the football, more about the optics.

And Zidane & Pep were hardly faced with a dearth of talent at their respective clubs. This ignores the fact that Buvac supposedly dislikes the media spotlight etc. How would he really cope with facing several interviews per week?
    Well, if you read more reputable papers, he isn't in line for the top job but a place on the coaching staff

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Well, if you read more reputable papers, he isn't in line for the top job but a place on the coaching staff
    I would be more than happy with that but it would seem a bit of a downgrade on his present job, don't you think? Also, if we're going down the route of a head coach rather than a manager then I guess that would mean that he was on the coaching staff.

We hardly have a dearth of talent, no matter what the press would have you believe. Some brilliant young talent at the club