Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Will Emery have the dignity to resign?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal Alcoholic Review View Post
    Apart from Lichtsteiner Emery's transfers have been decent so far and even then that was just a cheap squad filler signing. (he did prove to be well **** though) And we probably would have got away with how awful he was but for Bellerin's career threatening injury.

If Emery manages to boot out and replace Ozil, Mustafi and Xhaka with decent hungry players i'd say he's had a great summer. Those 3 sum up the end of the Wenger era. Huge transfers for ordinary players. Xhaka was Wengers choice ahead of Kante, shocking stuff.
    Well Xhaka wasn’t a huge transfer money wise but I agree he’s a fundamental problem. Ozil just doesn’t fit and he was never that good under Wenger either. Mustafi we shouldn’t speak about.

I’d happily ship all three out if we could get a central defender, a LB and a midfielder to play with Lucas. Maybe a wide attacking player as well. But the important thing is not so much that buy players in certain positions but that we buy players we can afford who will improve. Spurs funded themselves with the sale of Bale and others, Liverpool with Coutinho and Suarez. We just need to get better in the transfer market. Wenger had lost his touch and we are now paying the price.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Well Xhaka wasn’t a huge transfer money wise but I agree he’s a fundamental problem. Ozil just doesn’t fit and he was never that good under Wenger either. Mustafi we shouldn’t speak about.

I’d happily ship all three out if we could get a central defender, a LB and a midfielder to play with Lucas. Maybe a wide attacking player as well. But the important thing is not so much that buy players in certain positions but that we buy players we can afford who will improve. Spurs funded themselves with the sale of Bale and others, Liverpool with Coutinho and Suarez. We just need to get better in the transfer market. Wenger had lost his touch and we are now paying the price.
    Xhaka at 35m was a huge deal at the time. Aboomerang, a genuine World class player and forward in his prime didn't cost much more a couple of years later.

Yeah I'd happily ship all of Xhaka, Ozil and Mustafi off the wage bill and bring in one CB. Then just hope the big young Greek (terrible and big injuries this season)steps up next year as well as Emile Smith Rowe. Both of those look to have serious talent and worth gambling on if they can be fit for pre season

Xhaka at 35m was a huge deal at the time. Aboomerang, a genuine World class player and forward in his prime didn't cost much more a couple of years later.

Yeah I'd happily ship all of Xhaka, Ozil and Mustafi off the wage bill and bring in one CB. Then just hope the big young Greek (terrible and big injuries this season)steps up next year as well as Emile Smith Rowe. Both of those look to have serious talent and worth gambling on if they can be fit for pre season
    We need options in both full back positions, a centre back and an attacking midfielder. That's just a start. Priority is going to have to be pruning the **** and the overpaid- mustafi, Ozil, kolasinac for a start.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    We need options in both full back positions, a centre back and an attacking midfielder. That's just a start. Priority is going to have to be pruning the **** and the overpaid- mustafi, Ozil, kolasinac for a start.
    Yeah in Emery's formation and style the full backs are the most important players. Our season died on it's arse when Bellerin died.

Yeah in Emery's formation and style the full backs are the most important players. Our season died on it's arse when Bellerin died.
    Very true re the fullbacks, which is of course why he rarely plays 4 at the back. Why would you when AMN and Kolasinac are your options (maybe Monreal but he needs him in the back 3)? It also means that if you play 3 up front as is his want, your 2 midfielders need to be disciplined and, ideally, athletic. Xhaka is neither of those and Lucas is still young and learning.

A CB, LB, midfielder and attacking player will do for next year - along with the return to full health of Holding and Hector.