Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What on earth is going on?

What on earth is going on?

This, from twitter, about some chap we may (won't) buy:

"Not really a 10, although he could do the job there. He’s more of an 8 or a 6. Ideally you want him in front of a double pivot or as one of the interiors in front of a sole pivot."

What is all this cobblers? Was Neeskens a 4 or an 8? Was Zico a 10 or an 8? Was Brady a 7? Were Cruyff and Henry (and Walcott) 14s? How many pivots are usual? Why have people made up a load of meaningless bóllocks about our beautiful game?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post

"Not really a 10, although he could do the job there. He’s more of an 8 or a 6. Ideally you want him in front of a double pivot or as one of the interiors in front of a sole pivot."

What is all this cobblers? Was Neeskens a 4 or an 8? Was Zico a 10 or an 8? Was Brady a 7? Were Cruyff and Henry (and Walcott) 14s? How many pivots are usual? Why have people made up a load of meaningless bóllocks about our beautiful game?
    Oh, I thought he was being marked out of 10.
    I've no idea what pivots are.
    I blame football hipsters like you, Jorge and sw.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Oh, I thought he was being marked out of 10.
    I've no idea what pivots are.
    I blame football hipsters like you, Jorge and sw.
    If there's one thing I'm not, it's a football hipster. Instructions to players can be extremely detailed and complex - how we'll defend a throw in from the left 30 yards from our goal, how we'll put the right side of theior midfield under pressure to stop their left side playing, how we'll move the ball from our goal kick - there might be a million instructions for a particular game, but pivots? Interiors? What cobblers.

We won the world cup - all else is irrelevant. Til next week anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    That was cricket la. Anyway, b's been telling us for years that the only proper cricket is the one that lasts about a week, and that this limited over nonsense doesn't count.

Are we saying it counts now? Because Ireland I mean 'England' won?

That was cricket la. Anyway, b's been telling us for years that the only proper cricket is the one that lasts about a week, and that this limited over nonsense doesn't count.

Are we saying it counts now? Because Ireland I mean 'England' won?
    As much as I like b, we rarely agreed on this - of course it isn't the "real" stuff but it has banished some very bad memories of 87 and 92

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Do you not worry that we used up so much magic in that win - the bat deflection for 6 which should only have been five, anyway, Roy looking out first ball etc - that we've blown it for the Ashes?

{Or is that just a hippy mystic way of saying we don't have a top 3?}

If we lose the Ashes, that will rather pîss on our chips - like if we'd won the EL (yeah, right) and Sperz then won the CL.

Is Jimmy A gonna be fit?

What? Have you not read Jonathan Wilson's latest: Tessellating the Dodecahedron?

It's not just about lumping it up to the big lad and getting it in the mixer any more, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    What? Have you not read Jonathan Wilson's latest: Tessellating the Dodecahedron?

It's not just about lumping it up to the big lad and getting it in the mixer any more, you know.
    Get it wide, get it to the byeline, get it across the six yard box. Keep doing that and we'll be fine.

If there's one thing I'm not, it's a football hipster. Instructions to players can be extremely detailed and complex - how we'll defend a throw in from the left 30 yards from our goal, how we'll put the right side of theior midfield under pressure to stop their left side playing, how we'll move the ball from our goal kick - there might be a million instructions for a particular game, but pivots? Interiors? What cobblers.
    I'm sure I remember you all furiously masturbating over Jonathan Wilson as he made what is in essence the world's most gloriously simple sport sound like something that you'd need a PhD in Astrophysics to understand.