Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open-topped bus parade on the 28th :cloud9:

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Might I make so bold as to clarify something?

The 'fourth place trophy' idea with which so many like to bash our greatest ever manager stems from a perfectly reasonable comment. He said that fourth place was 'like a trophy', which, indeed, it is, since every club achieving CL qualification celebrates it as a success.

'Like a trophy'. Not, 'is a trophy'. 'Like a trophy.'

It takes either an incredibly lazy, or incredibly vindictive mindset to continually beat Arsene around the head by warping a perfectly reasonable comment.

Carry on.
    Certainly you can clarify it, and you have every right to hold that view, of course.

And others have every right to disagree. And those who disagree would argue that it is nothing like a trophy at all and shouldn't in any way be celebrated as such. I would be one of those people and my view has nothing to do with my attitude towards Wenger, it has everything to do with much of what I consider to be wrong about modern day football.

Avoiding relegation is celebrated as a success as well. Is that like a trophy? I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Certainly you can clarify it, and you have every right to hold that view, of course.

And others have every right to disagree. And those who disagree would argue that it is nothing like a trophy at all and shouldn't in any way be celebrated as such. I would be one of those people and my view has nothing to do with my attitude towards Wenger, it has everything to do with much of what I consider to be wrong about modern day football.

Avoiding relegation is celebrated as a success as well. Is that like a trophy? I think not.
    If, on Sunday (having won tonight), we find ourselves ahead against Everton and in the last moments news filters through that Boro have scored an unlikely equaliser at Anfield, how would you describe the ensuing scenes you may be likely to witness around The Emirates?

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    If, on Sunday (having won tonight), we find ourselves ahead against Everton and in the last moments news filters through that Boro have scored an unlikely equaliser at Anfield, how would you describe the ensuing scenes you may be likely to witness around The Emirates?
    I would expect a fairly subdued celebration amongst a crowd struggling to fill the stadium.

They're bored with this game, you see.

The problem with your argument here isn't so much that it's bóllocks, although clearly it is, it's that you don't believe it for a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    The problem with your argument here isn't so much that it's bóllocks, although clearly it is, it's that you don't believe it for a second.
    There's not allowed to be losers anymore; everyone has to get a prize or they'll blub

#snowflakes
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Actually - it is like a trophy, hence that is why it is celebrated in such a way and I am sure it has been referred to as such as. Like here

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/...oyet-1-6600361

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Actually - it is like a trophy, hence that is why it is celebrated in such a way and I am sure it has been referred to as such as. Like here

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/...oyet-1-6600361
    Well that's Gustavo's view and he's entitled to hold it. I rather disagree.

Staying up being like a trophy is what clubs like Sunderland think. We - however - are the Arsenal.

Staying up being like a trophy is what clubs like Sunderland think. We - however - are the Arsenal.
    Seems strange then that Liverpool and Man City are both celbrating every victory like it is a cup final.. almost as if they think being in the CL is bloody important
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    Seems strange then that Liverpool and Man City are both celbrating every victory like it is a cup final.. almost as if they think being in the CL is bloody important
    Both those clubs have reason to be more sanguine about their future in that competition, should they qualify, than we do though. The European Cup has been most kind to Liverpool down the years and Manchester City are now armed with the "best manager in the world" who in turn will be armed with all the money in the world and perhaps also Lionel Messi too. Neither outfit will be looking at the thing as merely a money-making jaunt or as a prelude to a tonking from Bayern München in the knockout rounds.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Staying up being like a trophy is what clubs like Sunderland think. We - however - are a certain section of Arsenal fans, whose sense of entitlement is way out of control.
    There fixed that for you