Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: As I said the other day, the good thing about being 2nd in the group

As I said the other day, the good thing about being 2nd in the group

is still being in the tie when getting to the pub before the home leg.

This is worse than a dead rubber, it's cold humiliation. I know we contrived a heroic and moderatly entertaining failure to claw back three of the four against Meelan, but they were Italians. They had no idea how to defend a four goal lead, and didn't get their act together until our third. It won't happen again, and we will get double-gubbed.

I will of course attend out of duty but am a little bit not looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post

This is worse than a dead rubber, it's cold humiliation. I know we contrived a heroic and moderatly entertaining failure to claw back three of the four against Meelan, but they were Italians. They had no idea how to defend a four goal lead, and didn't get their act together until our third. It won't happen again, and we will get double-gubbed.

I will of course attend out of duty but am a little bit not looking forward to it.
    It's all very depressing there should be a way to forfeit.

or give the tickets to kids or something.

What will happen though is Bayern will just turn up as it's always a bit weird when you have such a lead.

We'll score early. then ooooh bloody hell it's 2-0 nearly 3 but we miss. then just before half time Bayern will score and put an end to that *******s.

Or scenario b they will just carry on and punish and humiliate our 2nd string squad

I suppose there is always the possibility that someone might kck Thomas Muller. That would be worth seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I suppose there is always the possibility that someone might kck Thomas Muller. That would be worth seeing.
    I absolutely hate their keeper. For no particular reason.

There shall be an initial early onslaught, bouyed a little by a noisy crowd, of this I am sure. I expect Bayern will however be too clever to succumb to this most basic of tactic.

I simply hope in our energetic desire to get back into the game we don't get caught and go 1 down as despite the undoubted noisy Germans I expect there will be much dissenting and booing etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    It's all very depressing there should be a way to forfeit.

or give the tickets to kids or something.

What will happen though is Bayern will just turn up as it's always a bit weird when you have such a lead.

We'll score early. then ooooh bloody hell it's 2-0 nearly 3 but we miss. then just before half time Bayern will score and put an end to that *******s.

Or scenario b they will just carry on and punish and humiliate our 2nd string squad
    This is the very highest level of football which some will use to justify the current high ticket prices.

To forfeit would be silly. As Ash has said, you attend from a sense of duty. Call it support.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    There shall be an initial early onslaught, bouyed a little by a noisy crowd, of this I am sure. I expect Bayern will however be too clever to succumb to this most basic of tactic.

I simply hope in our energetic desire to get back into the game we don't get caught and go 1 down as despite the undoubted noisy Germans I expect there will be much dissenting and booing etc.
    Yes, we probably won't hear the boos and grumbles because of that fùcking drum and two thousand perfectly co-ordinated Germans marching in step for 90 minutes. I can't believe they let that fùcking drum in. Actually, I can.

Though, to contradict what I said earlier, when we got the 2-0 out there and had them a bit worried at the end, the consensus was "well, Bayern had their foot off the gas. They knew they had won so had no intensity and let Arsenal back into the tie". Mr Souness in particular was very clear about this. I will have to pretend there is hope, however tiny and absurd, that a geniune giant of European football could lose 4-0 to a weaker team.

Ash please. I am really rather fond of you and the last thing I want is to start feeling pity for you

Yes, we probably won't hear the boos and grumbles because of that fùcking drum and two thousand perfectly co-ordinated Germans marching in step for 90 minutes. I can't believe they let that fùcking drum in. Actually, I can.

Though, to contradict what I said earlier, when we got the 2-0 out there and had them a bit worried at the end, the consensus was "well, Bayern had their foot off the gas. They knew they had won so had no intensity and let Arsenal back into the tie". Mr Souness in particular was very clear about this. I will have to pretend there is hope, however tiny and absurd, that a geniune giant of European football could lose 4-0 to a weaker team.
    Never been done before, I know this from this week's coverage of PSG/Barcelona and then of course our own defeat.

You and I both know with 100% certainty that Bayern will score so we will need to score 5 to their 1 in order to even get it to extra-time. I am not sure this will happen.

However if we do then they also have the added advantage of being able to surpass our 1 away goal thus rendering our task more difficult.

Finally, to not overlook how inferior we are to them both footballistically and in respect of the great intangible mental strength. Yes, that gem.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    Never been done before, I know this from this week's coverage of PSG/Barcelona and then of course our own defeat.

You and I both know with 100% certainty that Bayern will score so we will need to score 5 to their 1 in order to even get it to extra-time. I am not sure this will happen.

However if we do then they also have the added advantage of being able to surpass our 1 away goal thus rendering our task more difficult.

Finally, to not overlook how inferior we are to them both footballistically and in respect of the great intangible mental strength. Yes, that gem.
    In a word, Lewandowski.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."