Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Yesterday's match was very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Indeed, if the time is right for him to go now then it suggests that the time was NOT right then. If then was the right time then now is way past when he should have gone and not in fact the right time at all but long past it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I find it a bit weird that people are pining for fourth now that it is so distant, and saying it is where we should be, when being fourth at the time was never considered good enough, and the fact that other clubs had more money was just a weak excuse for not winning, or regularly challenging for, the league.
    More willing to spend A.

We have loads of money, it is simply resting in Coutts.

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    More willing to spend A.

that pile of cash will win the Arsenal Player of the Season award this year...
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

That the time is right for him to go now does not mean that the time was right then. Not that I have any wish to once again rehearse the old arguments. At least now there is no great schism, as all but a few are agreed that it is time for change. Had he gone when we were still playing decent football the divide would have carried on into the new regime.
    While it being right for him to go now does not mean that it was right then, it at least means it might have been right then. And remember that people like Monty and others back then weren't making the argument that there are bad signs but he deserves the chance to turn it around etc etc. They were making the argument that anyone who questioned him is an intellectually challenged, working class moron who needs a new hobby and deserves cancer.

Hindsight being 20/20 and all that, would anyone really argue that 2-3 years ago when Klopp and Pochettino were on the market wouldn't have been an awfully good time for him to go? There had been steady decline post the youth experiment at that point and we were beginning to see the stagnation we have now taking hold. I'm not convinced the intervening 2-3 years has been good for anyone.

Most of all, Wenger.

More willing to spend A.

So what we needed was more dodgy Albanians at £35m a pop?

EDIT: and it is false to pretend that we had as much money than them, even if we had a bit more than we spent imo.

You. Pedro. The big Pete. El Peter.

Rover driver.
    I am never going to live that Rover down am I.....

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I am never going to live that Rover down am I.....
    Apparently not. They're a tough audience on here.

So what we needed was more dodgy Albanians at £35m a pop?

EDIT: and it is false to pretend that we had as much money than them, even if we had a bit more than we spent imo.
    It is customary within any business model to ensure that one has at ones disposal slightly more than one spends. Its obvious really, whilst one wishes to maximise the spending power of the resources one has at ones disposal one is also mindful of ones responsibility to ensure that such spending does not place in an invidious position the long term financial stability of ones organisation particularly where the use of such resources, and the perceived benefits of the spending of those resources, is so closely tied to the very long term stability one would be endangering.

I find it a bit weird that people are pining for fourth now that it is so distant, and saying it is where we should be, when being fourth at the time was never considered good enough, and the fact that other clubs had more money was just a weak excuse for not winning, or regularly challenging for, the league.
    Not a weak excuse so much as it was weak to make an excuse out of it. A strategic disaster too as it convinced our players they weren't really good enough (because if they were, they would be playing for Chelsea or Real Madrid et al).
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Apparently not. They're a tough audience on here.
    It was a very nice car......

when it worked.

which wasnt often.