Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
I think there is an argument to be made that any referendum (forget Brexit specifically) is more likely to be representative if you have a second and final vote.

A single referendum is always open to the criticism that people didn't take it seriously because they thought it was certain that the public would vote one way or the other, or that something was fundamentally misrepresented in the lead up to the vote etc etc. A second referendum would resolve many of those concerns with necessarily leaving us open to the possibility of a third referendum.

I don't want one, of course, but I don't buy the argument that you can't have a second one without considering the possibility of a third one.
The trouble with this argument (aparty from the bullshít about people not taking it seriously) is that it’s innately authoritarian. It smacks of teacher being able to tell the naughty electorate to go away and think about what it’s done and come back with the ‘right’ answer this time. In other words, it undermines the whole nature and purpose of the process.