Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Havertz, I really like the chap. Proper bullet header.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Just watched it again. Absolutely not a penalty, for me. Watch the angle of Doku's body on contact. He is turning away, withdrawing the foot. Minimal contact, and he is entitled to play the ball.

Excellent refereeing
    wasn't forceful, but still reckless imo.

you cannot make a challenge with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent. Even if the Bindipping **** did make a meal of it.

I'm happy that it wasn't given, btw.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    wasn't forceful, but still reckless imo.

you cannot make a challenge with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent. Even if the Bindipping **** did make a meal of it.

I'm happy that it wasn't given, btw.
    Right, but referees consider force when looking at danger and/or consequence. Which is why it was fine for that prick Bruno at Newcastle to whack Jorginho on the back of the head as long as he only used his forearm, and not his elbow.

The key for me is that he doesn't attack the ball and the player at the same time. He attacks the ball, and the opponent arrives and collides with him. Doku is stationary, and turning his body away from the swing of the foot. I think he has done enough to minimise the danger and is entitled to attempt to clear the ball. A big swing of the foot and/ or a follow through and yes, I would agree.

At the very least.... it is not a clear and obvious error. When I saw it live, and the pundits were oohing and aaaahing about how he was in so much trouble, my first instinct was that I would be stunned if VAR gave that.

The only downside is that if Liverpool lose the league by a point or two, we will still be hearing about it for the rest of our lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post

The only downside is that if Liverpool lose the league by a point or two, we will still be hearing about it for the rest of our lives.
    Right. 'Twas EVER thus.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."