Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This Alabama abortion law

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I simply take the view that, given a choice between the grown adult who has made informed choices and the voiceless, defenceless child being threatened with death merely for the crime of existing inconveniently, it ought to be the law’s job to prioritise defence of the latter rather than the former.
    A mass of cells that cannot exist outside the womb is a defenceless child, is it?

Anyway, we know where this is going so there's no point.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Not that hard, the large majority of them will also support the death penalty. And I'm not too sure Christianity ever stopped anyone going to war.

And of course, there is nothing in the bible that says that life begins at conception, not to my knowledge anyway. I believe that to have been the judgement of the child abusers in Rome. Mortal men, as such.
    Well if they do, I’d agree that is hypocritical. And the concept of the ‘Just War’ as it relates to Christianity was outlined by St Thomas Aquinas about 800 years ago, but I’ve no interest in defending Christianity.

And life obviously begins at conception. Any other conclusion is arbitrary, illogical and wholly unscientific.

I simply take the view that, given a choice between the grown adult who has made informed choices and the voiceless, defenceless child being threatened with death merely for the crime of existing inconveniently, it ought to be the law’s job to prioritise defence of the latter rather than the former.
    Giving children 'rights' has led us to this world of 'autism' and 'peanut allergies' and Greta Thunberg haranguing politicos.

Think on.

And consider how much better the world would be had Mrs Jones looked at baby Owen and opted for the post-labour abortion option.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    A mass of cells that cannot exist outside the womb is a defenceless child, is it?

Anyway, we know where this is going so there's no point.
    You might as well argue that a child is not fully human because it hasn’t yet grown to adulthood and cannot survive without adult protection and therefore should not be afforded the same protections in law.

Instead we take the view thatbthat vulnerability is exactly why the law protects children even more than it does adults.

It therefore seems bizarre to me that we abandon this rationale when it comes to children at their most vulnerable - ie when they’re in the womb. It’s simply nonsensical.

Oh, and we’re all just ‘a mass of cells’, btw.
    Last edited by Burney; 05-15-2019 at 03:17 PM.

Is this the thing where the women are doing a sex ban?

But they can still take it up the bum or use a vibrator

To be fair, it’s perfectly possible to hold serious objections to abortion on ethical grounds while having no religious faith whatsoever. I do.
    I do as well but not to outlaw it completely, the current UK law is perfectly reasonable at 24 weeks (i.e. when the embryo is viable)

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    I do as well but not to outlaw it completely, the current UK law is perfectly reasonable at 24 weeks (i.e. when the embryo is viable)
    Yes, although I have issues with the concept of viability as a measure of whether or not we have the right to end a human life.
    There are plenty of people who aren't 'viable' without the support and care of others, but we tend not to use that as an excuse for killing them.

There are plenty of people who aren't 'viable' without the support and care of others, but we tend not to use that as an excuse for killing them.
    oh, people are often effectively euthanised during palliative care in the UK .
    increasing amounts of morphine for pain relief, anyone?
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Well if they do, I’d agree that is hypocritical. And the concept of the ‘Just War’ as it relates to Christianity was outlined by St Thomas Aquinas about 800 years ago, but I’ve no interest in defending Christianity.

And life obviously begins at conception. Any other conclusion is arbitrary, illogical and wholly unscientific.
    No, it doesn't *obviously* begin at conception. I could argue that human life begins when the foetus is viable outside of the womb.

If I did you would have no logical counter argument other than 'no it doesn't'. Hence why this is such a difficult issue to resolve.

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    oh, people are often effectively euthanised during palliative care in the UK .
    increasing amounts of morphine for pain relief, anyone?
    Sure. The key difference there , though, would be that they are at the end of their lives rather than the beginning.