Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Messi's third was the choice of the three and for those of us that actually

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Sure. But that doesn't stop it being very much the lifeblood of discussion among football fans.
    Oh, I have no issues with football fans grunting such nonsense at each other; I simply leave them to it and refuse to engage in such a futile activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Oh, I have no issues with football fans grunting such nonsense at each other; I simply leave them to it and refuse to engage in such a futile activity.
    Not even when someone suggests Johan Cruyff was Danish?

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    Not even when someone suggests Johan Cruyff was Danish?
    As bait goes it's pretty unattractive, to be honest. Danes are simply Krautlites; all the Nazism but none of the good beer and sausage. No one in their right mind could confuse a Cloggie with a Dane.

He was at Barca, the fact that he made little of his time there should surely factor into analysis of his career and can't simply be dismissed because it is inconsistent with your view.

And I love the idea that he spent his career surrounded by ordinary players. Because the Argentinian national team is routinely populated by utterly average players.

Based on this, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you've no fvcking idea what you're on about.
    At the risk of getting into a level of detail that's over your head (i.e. any), Valdano and Burruchaga were decent, but that's pretty much it. And Napoli were really nothing special. Pretty much every authority agrees on Maradona's ability to drag unpromising teams to levels of achievement they'd never have got near without him. This makes him unique in the pantheon of greats. After all, Cruyff had a great side around him, as did Pele and Messi has had the same. Maradona stands out by his ability to achieve great things without that support.

You may dispute his greatness all you like, but history bears this out.

Messi performs miracles far more often than Maradonna did, his teammates certainly contributed to that however that doesn't change the fact that for a few years he was routinely performing at a level that Maradonna achieved only rarely even when at Barca.
    Miracles What ****ing planet are you on?

You also aware I am sure that Barcelona were not the club they are today - they were in fact pretty ordinary, winning only two league titles between 1960 and 1991 in fact

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post

You also aware I am sure that Barcelona were not the club they are today - they were in fact pretty ordinary, winning only two league titles between 1960 and 1991 in fact
    That was a fact in fact
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post

I've a strong suspicion that prior to this exchange, young WES had absolutely no idea whatsoever of what Maradona did or didn't do at Barcelona - or what they were like as a side. After all he did appear to turn 180 degrees in his assessment of Diego's performance there in the space of two posts.

He literally went from saying Maradona had never reached Messi's heights 'even while at Barca' to criticising him for 'making little of his time there' prompted solely by me pointing out that it was pretty much the nadir of his club career.

In short, WES is bullsh1tting something fierce here.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I've a strong suspicion that prior to this exchange, young WES had absolutely no idea whatsoever of what Maradona did or didn't do at Barcelona - or what they were like as a side. After all he did appear to turn 180 degrees in his assessment of Diego's performance there in the space of two posts.

He literally went from saying Maradona had never reached Messi's heights 'even while at Barca' to criticising him for 'making little of his time there' prompted solely by me pointing out that it was pretty much the nadir of his club career.

In short, WES is bullsh1tting something fierce here.
    Wrong on all accounts, I'm afraid. I was fully aware that Diego had spent several years under-achieving at Barca, other than a rather terrific fight involving all sorts of kicking which still makes me smile when I see it.

The point I made, which you seem to have misunderstood, was that he had not spent his career surrounded by average players at Napoli and with Argentina, he went to Barca and had little success and you can hardly argue that Barca were a small club hence 'even at Barca'.

And as I said, I'm not judging him solely on his time there, merely pointing out that it needs to be considered. As I also said in another thread, I consider him the second best player in history, second only to Messi, so it's not like I don't recognize his genius.

Wrong on all accounts, I'm afraid. I was fully aware that Diego had spent several years under-achieving at Barca, other than a rather terrific fight involving all sorts of kicking which still makes me smile when I see it.

The point I made, which you seem to have misunderstood, was that he had not spent his career surrounded by average players at Napoli and with Argentina, he went to Barca and had little success and you can hardly argue that Barca were a small club hence 'even at Barca'.

And as I said, I'm not judging him solely on his time there, merely pointing out that it needs to be considered. As I also said in another thread, I consider him the second best player in history, second only to Messi, so it's not like I don't recognize his genius.
    Can't believe we have got to 4 pages of a football thread you started, when we all know that you know the square root of fucvk all about football
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

other than a rather terrific fight involving all sorts of kicking which still makes me smile when I see it.
    This won?

some neat foot work in there, I have to say.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”