Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: 8 days of undulterated bliss in the United Arab Emirates

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    No, it isn't that. They know I dont indulge in that sort of thing. They do it because I am the main man, the head honcho, the decision-maker, the big cheese, numero uno, the Boss.

In other words, I signed the contract for the corporate account and my card pays all the bills. So they look after me- they follow the money.

Very sensible of them.
    Head honcho? - I thought you were some Henry Wilt type character struggling in a seedy polytechnic somewhere near Chesterfield or similar?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I've been watching thon Vietnam War doodad. I am more convinced than ever that the main problem the US had was being a bunch of fùcking pussies. I'd have invaded North Vietnam and asked China exactly what the fùck they planned to do about it whilst pointing to all my bright, shiny nuclear weapons and conducting less than subtle manoeuvres with the US Pacific Fleet.
    It's very good, Ken Burns is excellent.

Your suggestion is madness, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    Head honcho? - I thought you were some Henry Wilt type character struggling in a seedy polytechnic somewhere near Chesterfield or similar?
    Yes, but they dont know that. I pay the bills so they think I'm the gaffer.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    It's very good, Ken Burns is excellent.

Your suggestion is madness, BTW.
    Getting involved in a war without being prepared to do what's necessary to win it was the real madness. As Jacky Fisher, former Admiral of the Fleet put it: 'The essence of war is violence. Moderation in war is imbecility.'

This is a lesson the Americans seem oddly unwilling to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Getting involved in a war without being prepared to do what's necessary to win it was the real madness. As Jacky Fisher, former Admiral of the Fleet put it: 'The essence of war is violence. Moderation in war is imbecility.'

This is a lesson the Americans seem oddly unwilling to learn.
    Getting involved in a war they couldn't win would be a better way of putting it, and yes it was madness.

Yes, but they dont know that. I pay the bills so they think I'm the gaffer.
    Happens quite a lot. Often, the last contact name to go against the customer company record is the accounts payable person who settles up at the end of the project, so they're the ones who get sent all the bribes by the marketing depertment.

wd you.

Getting involved in a war they couldn't win would be a better way of putting it, and yes it was madness.
    THe suggestion seems to be that they could have won it, they just didnt like the necessary method.

It was a **** war because we weren't it. Sorry, but war without us is just boring and everybody knows it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Happens quite a lot. Often, the last contact name to go against the customer company record is the accounts payable person who settles up at the end of the project, so they're the ones who get sent all the bribes by the marketing depertment.

wd you.
    Also, I am very nice to them because...well, because I am just nice. They appreciate that given that the rest of their customers are rich and therefore almost exclusively rude.

Of course they could win it. Militarily, they were more than capable of winning it in double quick time. They just weren't prepared to do what was necessary, which was invade another country, anger the Chinese and kill a fùck ton of people (although that number almost certainly would have been fewer than they actually ended up killing by dragging the thing out for 10 years).

THe suggestion seems to be that they could have won it, they just didnt like the necessary method.

It was a **** war because we weren't it. Sorry, but war without us is just boring and everybody knows it.
    That's certainly true. We were as well staying out of that shītshow, though. Although we could have shown them a few tricks we'd learnt in the Malayan Emergency.