Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Don't think we can complain about Spurs there. THey didn't stop running, especially

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 7sisters View Post
    Appreciate he’s a great manager but. No way does Guardiola achieve 4 on the spin at any other club.
    Financially doped. If Chapman {the other won} and Fergie could only win 3 on the bounce, Paisley 2 {3 times, 6 in 8 years} then Pep is no more than Lance Armstrong winning loads of TdFs. Simple as. We can but pray, for the Bubble Blowers - that they do it for Dec.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Financially doped. If Chapman {the other won} and Fergie could only win 3 on the bounce, Paisley 2 {3 times, 6 in 8 years} then Pep is no more than Lance Armstrong winning loads of TdFs. Simple as. We can but pray, for the Bubble Blowers - that they do it for Dec.
    United had a gigantic financial advantage over everyone in the 90s. OK, it's not cheating, but it provides the same advantage.

I believe we spent a few Bob in the 30s as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    United had a gigantic financial advantage over everyone in the 90s. OK, it's not cheating, but it provides the same advantage.

I believe we spent a few Bob in the 30s as well.
    But it was legal. There were a big five in the late 80s, but when stadiums had to become all-seater, arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs and Everton all saw their capacities decline from c.60k to 40k or less while Old Trafford was able to expand to 75k because it's built-in Mancunian slumland. that gave them a major advantage, as did the fact that their golden generation of kids coincided with Premier League and Champions League money.

So yes, they had a major advantage but they didn't cheat. It's not the same as getting paid varsity over market rate for a sponsorship deal with a company connected to the clubs owners that is nothing more than a brass name plaque in a Mayfair office, a company that does nothing and has no income or turnover. That's just simply cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    But it was legal. There were a big five in the late 80s, but when stadiums had to become all-seater, arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs and Everton all saw their capacities decline from c.60k to 40k or less while Old Trafford was able to expand to 75k because it's built-in Mancunian slumland. that gave them a major advantage, as did the fact that their golden generation of kids coincided with Premier League and Champions League money.

So yes, they had a major advantage but they didn't cheat. It's not the same as getting paid varsity over market rate for a sponsorship deal with a company connected to the clubs owners that is nothing more than a brass name plaque in a Mayfair office, a company that does nothing and has no income or turnover. That's just simply cheating.
    I agree. I think the point I was trying to make is that the legality (or otherwise) shouldn't actually make any difference to how you view the achievements of the coach and the team.

Pep has had a huge illegal advantage, Fergie had a huge legal one. On the pitch, the financial advantage amounts to the same thing so to deride one achievement and celebrate the other doesn't make sense.

I think you can acknowledge the quality of Pep's work, and the brilliance of his sides, while at the same time calling the club a bunch of cheating ****s

I agree. I think the point I was trying to make is that the legality (or otherwise) shouldn't actually make any difference to how you view the achievements of the coach and the team.

Pep has had a huge illegal advantage, Fergie had a huge legal one. On the pitch, the financial advantage amounts to the same thing so to deride one achievement and celebrate the other doesn't make sense.

I think you can acknowledge the quality of Pep's work, and the brilliance of his sides, while at the same time calling the club a bunch of cheating ****s
    No, I'm afraid. For years it was argued that AW (for instance) simply couldn't AFFORD to play better football.

In a word, **** Pep. And his clubs.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    No, I'm afraid. For years it was argued that AW (for instance) simply couldn't AFFORD to play better football.

In a word, **** Pep. And his clubs.
    Well.... I can admire a good side, even if I hate them.

And, just for the record, I would choose City cheating off the pitch over United who spent a decade cheating on it.

Well.... I can admire a good side, even if I hate them.

And, just for the record, I would choose City cheating off the pitch over United who spent a decade cheating on it.
    Yes, good point. I can't hate this City team nearly as much as I hated the ManU teams of the Ferguson era.

I don't dread going up against a really good team who we can beat on our day (and did) nearly as much as I dreaded what the referees might do to us (and did) at Old Toilet. Not to mention knowing that they would kick us off and pitch and get away with it (and did) if they knew we were better than them.

Pep's team, for all the cheating off the field, are an honourable team on it.