Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Those dirty commies want to steal my school.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    That's not what happens in schools, though. If we assume a broad social mix, the kids with the most cachet would be the harder (ie generally poorer) kids. In order not to get their heads kicked in, the posher kids would tone it down to sound and act more like the scum. Result? Everyone ends up sounding and acting like Shannon and Billy Bob Joe.
    Nah, you just befriend the right parents and make sure your kids hang out with theirs outside of school.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Dunno what the research says, but it seems logical to assume that chucking a load of kids into a state school who would otherwise have gone to private school will raise the standards of the state school

I'd definitely be chuffed to bits if my kids' school suddenly had an influx of the type of kids who get sent to private school.
    Yes, that's true. Despite having sent my son to precisely the sort of school they are targeting, I actually have sympathy for the idea that they should be abolished. The state school system in Surrey is much worse than in Kent or Essex because the proliferation of private schools here means the state school system is deprived of many of its best students. Which then makes parents like me even more likely to send our children to private schools.

Would have been nice to save the £££ it cost me too.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Yes, that's true. Despite having sent my son to precisely the sort of school they are targeting, I actually have sympathy for the idea that they should be abolished. The state school system in Surrey is much worse than in Kent or Essex because the proliferation of private schools here means the state school system is deprived of many of its best students. Which then makes parents like me even more likely to send our children to private schools.

Part of the "issue" is these schools class themselves as a charity and avoid paying business tax and get generous grants when in effect they are a company
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    Part of the "issue" is these schools class themselves as a charity and avoid paying business tax and get generous grants when in effect they are a company
    Well they used to fulfil the charitable aspect of their status by providing far more assisted places to students. Three guesses which party abolished that in 1997.

What with that and destroying grammar schools, it's almost like Labour just want to keep poor people poor, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    What I'd really like to see is Jeremy and The Boy Owen telling the First XV that their school now belongs toi the state.
    My main school head-master was a former England rugby captain. Most boring cünt on the planet. I'd have thought rugby boys would be entertaining - one of our prep school masters had some U21 caps, which he showed us, and he was a laugh.

But the ex-captain was so dull it was unbelievable. Still, they've let in girls now and changed the motto so fück 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    I think it was John McDonnell on the radio this morning who would not answer the question about the knock on effect of house prices (and other economic impacts) if this educational utopia was realised. All he would say was "isn't it better if all schools are excellent"

Quite clearly it is targetting Eton (#AbolishEton) because of Tory prime ministers and other aristocrati types whilst not considering the thousands of other private schools where parents scrimp and save to give their kids a better education than the local comp.

Still, at least we can look forward to more public sector strikes...
    It is shocking that 20 of our 55 PMs went to Eton. I couldn't understand it if 20/55 went to one of the dozen or so very top public schools. But 20 just to Eton? That seems scary to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    And they are the scum you entered an unholy alliance with to get your leave vote. If they ain't back in time for the GE The Libs will win and just take us straight back into the EU
    GPWM, Herbs.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post

I demanded to leave public school after o-levels and went to Reigate 6th form college. It was ace. In history, there were only 7 of us at the start and just 4 by upper 6th. As the 3 girls were quite quiet, I basically got 1-to-1 tuition, as I did for my two S-levels.

And Reigate's in Surrey. I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    I demanded to leave public school after o-levels and went to Reigate 6th form college. It was ace. In history, there were only 7 of us at the start and just 4 by upper 6th. As the 3 girls were quite quiet, I basically got 1-to-1 tuition, as I did for my two S-levels.

And Reigate's in Surrey. I think.
    I chose to stay in state school in Surrey, hindsight tells me that was ****ing dumb and my parents should never have given me the choice!!

That said, my recent inheritance would have been quite so substantial, so every cloud and all that

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    It is shocking that 20 of our 55 PMs went to Eton. I couldn't understand it if 20/55 went to one of the dozen or so very top public schools. But 20 just to Eton? That seems scary to me.
    Why? An elite institution producing people who go on to obtain the highest office in the land is surely how it's supposed to be?