Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
It's a bag of pig's guts man, it doesn't come with instructions or parameters. I intend to suck it and see, as it were. Perhaps I'll give them a rinse before the sucking.

Pesto? I'm making gnocchi with pesto tonight. The secret is to use more garlic, more basil and more parmesan than seems reasonable.

When I've made carpaccio I've made it thin by slicing it thin. Part-freezing it first helps. I've never heard of rolling it thin, but I can't see why it wouldn't work.
Oh yeah, I part freeze it when I make carpaccio de thon as it makes it easier to slice. And a youtube vid says do the same with the beef. But then says you use the ball of your hand to make each slice thinner. That's why I was thinking about using a rolling pin. But I guess your hand gives you more control.

The saucey thing I'm making isn't like a pesto, it's more of a very, very basilly vinaigrette but my French mates say no vinegar. Just pine nuts and garlic with the oil and basil.

When you buy the packets of carpaccio in the supermarket they come with little sachets, either with parmesan or this basil dressing and I much prefer the latter. That's what I'm going for.

I know the pig isn't going to tell you how to use its guts, I just wondered whether there is a maximum thickness you can make. I know nothing about biology - I only did it for one year, but I remember the teacher saying there are small and large intestines.

What I was sort of asking is whether you use one type for merguez size and the other for andouillette size.

But do post a pic of your handywork when it's done.