Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
Who cares? People who lived or grew up in that city when it wasn't like that and preferred it that way. Me, for one.

This idea that cosmopolitan diversity is great is not universally shared. Some of us feel something important has been lost.

And anyone who tells you Paris is a better city now than it was 30 years ago is a fúcking idiot, by the way.
Oh, I would never argue that there aren't people who would prefer it to go back to what it was, only that the point has no practical outcome. We aren't exactly going to start deporting people because they aren't ethnically English or French or whatever, are we?

NYC is miles better than it was 30 years ago, BTW. And I expect Paris is as well. You're thinking about ethnicity only, I think. 30 years ago Paris was a stinking mass with appalling infrastructure. I know many people who visited it back then and hated it because of the people, the smell etc. NYC is much better in no small part because of the sort of people you are objecting to (Trump as well). If you threw out all the illegal Mexican immigrants in NYC the locals would be devastated by the impact on their lives.