Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
That's my worry.

We've added a new, supposedly long term solution goalie, an experienced top level CH who's supposed to be our first choice no.5 for 3-4 seasons, and a very highly rated, young, DM, of the type we all thought we'd been crying out for to the squad AW finished the season with.

Coupled with that Auba's kept banging them despite not starting half the time and Laca's looking more and more like the striker we thought we signed. Pace and finishing but with upper body strength and skills.

Yet we seem to have gone backwards to me. Well if not backwards, I'd have expected AW to have done more with this squad, even allowing for the long term injuries to Kos in the first half and Hector and RH later on.

Look at the header they scored. Ball whipped in, there are 4 of them between our supposed back lie and our deepest lying defender. With Leno coming for a ball he'd a never get.

That's after almost a whole season. And we've no creativity unless we play our big 4 up front and now Rambo's deaded. Ho hum.
You can't legislate for Kamikaze defending, g

One defender playing 5 players onside from a set piece - criminal
One defender not even making a challenge, never mind not taking Jota out on his run into the box when there is cover behind - criminal
I'll give Kos the benefit of the doubt that he didn't duck under the free kick

You could see in the second half that the defensive structure (ha!) melted as all the defenders start to get attracted to the ball because there is no trust in each other.

I thought Wolves looked very defensively solid in comparison.