Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Monsieur Le President, eet eez not going so well! You 'ave ze rioting in ze streets

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    But who do the royalists want to install as monarch? I doubt even whoever's in line to the throne actually wants it, ffs!

A large part of Haussmann's design was an autocratic attempt to prevent barricading.

Also, it's not the world's most beautiful city imo.
    1. As long as he's called Louis XIX, they'll be happy. (And in my experience, royalists in post-royal countries normally think they have some claim to the bloodline. So they probably all hope Louis XIX will be them. I hope they give it to the 6'4" black chap with dreads and a giant wooden broadsword. He'd make a better leader than Manu. Fact.)

2. You really must think I'm thick as pigshît. I've got a first in history and have lived here on and off since the early '90s, yet you don't think I know why my fave streets (outside India) were built? Dear God. The point is that firstly, It never kicked off between 1851 and the Fr-Pr War. Because L-N III was, by the standards of the day, a very benign, progressive ruler. So I don't see the wide boulevards as a way of making sure the cavalry could charge the mob, I see a beautiful, liberal culture, that peacefully entrenched the 1848 settlement. Though I admit to having a bit too much of a soft spot for the 2nd Empire by lefty standards.

3, Yes it is. I'm right and you're wrong and that's fact. (Lutyens New Delhi is beautiful in its own way, but it's only for the elite and govt. I'm in a council flat on the right bank looking out the window at the river and Ile St Louis. And there are only 3 proper cities on the planet - London, Paris and Delhi. Oh, and Benares. Are you going for Benares as the most beautiful? I'd be hard pushed to argue that given it's Ganpati's mum and dad's city. Hhhhmm. Well done, B, there's hope for your soul yet.)

Quote Originally Posted by SWv2 View Post
    It is called a Hi-Vis mate and no person can ever look cool in one.

I am off to Paris next weekend and I dearly hope no rioting frogs get in the way of me enjoying a few beers and general relaxation.
    Stay away from the Champs Elysée, Trocadero and the areas around there next Sat, then. But if you're in the real central bit around Chatelet and the Pompidou, you'll be fine. Do you know the Frog and Rosbif pub a little up from there?

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Macron would probably be up for it, claim or no. Born To Rule.

I'm glad London wasn't rebuilt on 'rational' lines. Kingsway is as far as they got with the grand boulevards.
    Why would Macron want to be king of France? He tried to proclaim himslef Emperor of Europe today. He's got his eye on being the next Charlemagne or Boney.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    He tried to proclaim himslef Emperor of Europe today
    Ze Germans will see to that, imo
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Stay away from the Champs Elysée, Trocadero and the areas around there next Sat, then. But if you're in the real central bit around Chatelet and the Pompidou, you'll be fine. Do you know the Frog and Rosbif pub a little up from there?
    Don’t know any of it mate, only time in Paris before was 2006 and let’s gloss over that abomination of an event*.

Frog and Rosbif sounds a bit madey up to me?

*still blame Henry and Wenger

Don’t know any of it mate, only time in Paris before was 2006 and let’s gloss over that abomination of an event*.

* when clearly it was Almunia and Wenger to blame.

and Henrik Larsson

“Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

You simply must lunch at Le Train Bleue at the Gare de Lyon.

For dinner I prescribe one informal, Cafe des Capucins, one middling, Bofinger, and one formal, L’Astrance.

Thank me later.

Nope. I watched us win the 98 league title in there.

"Would you believe it! That - sums it all up!" #TA6

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    You simply must lunch at Le Train Bleue at the Gare de Lyon.

For dinner I prescribe one informal, Cafe des Capucins, one middling, Bofinger, and one formal, L’Astrance.

Thank me later.
    I fear sw will be wearing jeans, trainers and other garments made of by-products of the petroleum industry.

Or do they allow that sort of thing these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I fear sw will be wearing jeans, trainers and other garments made of by-products of the petroleum industry.

Or do they allow that sort of thing these days?
    He’ll be alright everywhere except L’Astrance, and come to think of it he won’t get in there without having booked 6 months ago. Lots of French men dress like pikeys these days, they won’t notice him except for his bulbous red nose and blotched alike cheeks.