Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
1. A precedent set in 1975? There wasn't for changes including Maastricht and EU enlargement. No-one asked me if i thought a good idea to let in loads of Poles and Romanians. {I do, btw, but there was no vote and many didn't.} If you say 1975 means we can vote on this over and over again, then why not tomorrow?

2. Is Norway in the EU? Is Switzerland, Turkey or Canada? No. Is there a mandate to copy any of them, from the vote, from May's victory as Tory leader or from the GE 2017? No.

3. And you know damn well that all the 48% were voting to wake up on Friday as they went to sleep on Thursday. While some leavers cared most about sovereignty, others immigration, others money/NHS etc. That is why there's been the dispute over what to do. Or do you think both parties and all the MPs have been disagreeing just to annoy you, B? Have you considered we are in this position because there isn't a mandate for any of the options, including me wanting go remain or for the Berni-style Brexit? That's why the country's politics has been a clusterfück for the last 2 years.

4. We are not threatening them with financial ruin. What we are saying is they may well be ruined giving them what they want. Fair play, they are adults. But the Tory party nows owns this and will be punished when poor voters realise the land of milk and honey was a myth and unfortunately my lot are run by a semi-literate Stalinist who will steal all your money, B, and send you to a gulag. Be careful what you wish for.

Hang on. You cant say one side were all over the place and the other knew what they were doing. People who voted remain would have done so for many different reasons and some of them, me included, would have done so despite having severe reservations about the EU. I wavered on my way to the polling station (mostly ****ing Ash's fault).

Whatever your view on the EU I think it is very, very difficult to defend the results of free movement over the last 15 years. Nobody imagined the sheer volume of young people who would migrate from Poland. THink about that long term- the best and brightest of their young people leaving the country. You end up with a perpetuallyimpoverished, top heavy population in parts of eastern europe and overcrowded and underfunded capitals in the UK, Germany, even Ireland. It is not sustainable and creates a fresh underclass in the economic centres of the EU.

Whatever way you cut that, it isnt working.