Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
He makes a good point, I think. When I started standing on the North Bank, we looked back in amazement and envy at the glories of Bertie Mee's double team; yet their achievement was a Fairs Cup, an FA cup and a league. Not exactly Man U under Ferguson, but it still seemed wildly successful to us.

Come the day when the spoilt within our fan base have succombed to syphilis or scurvy, perhaps the majority will return to having reasonable, realistic expectations.
You and Monty are both entirely correct, he has been a brilliant manager and his record over his tenure will show that. However said success cannot take away from the fact that the last few years have largely been unsatisfactory and I don't mean that as a spoilt brat type comment.

Football has changed almost beyond recognition all the same. As you say when you started you compared then with Bertie Mee's time.

You reference Man U under Ferguson, even that is an almost unknown to young kids now who associate City with success whereas to you and I they were a joke club for many many years. United pre Ferguson, 25+ years without a title.

Liverpool now vs Liverpool of the 70s/80s.