Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: So a YouTuber has done something stupid and people on Twitter are outraged

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    There's no way you can get from Surrey to the Lakes in four and a half hours in any remotely legal fashion, WES.

I got back to North London from Pooley Bridge, near Penrith via A66, Scotch Corner and A1 in 5 hours the other week, which was a record. It might be worth you considering the A1 if you go again. I hope you had a good visit, despite the traffic. Oh, and never drive on a Friday.
    I had a great visit, thanks. Walked around Loughrigg Tarn on the Thursday and ate at a great restaurant in Ambleside that night. Got snowed in Friday so we walked into Ambleside from the pub we stayed at in the snow, spent two hours in a cosy pub in Ambleside and then took a cab back. Spent the day in the pub with the locals and their dogs and the roaring fire and then had dinner there that night. The pub does it's own beer which - sadly - they don't export down south. Barngate it is called and they had about 8 bitters and a lager, both the bitters I was drinking were quite wonderful.

It's getting in and out of the f*cking place that drives me mental. We did it in 8 1/2 hours on the way there and the M25, M40 and M6 were all crawling along. I think from me 5 hours is sensible. On the way back we had to take A roads to Halifax to visit friends as the M6 was still a parking lot, then we got on the M1 only to be informed that it was shut at J28 so we diverted over to the A1 which was OK but slowish. We then moved back from the A1 to the M1 outside London at which point the M1 stopped again.

Never again. 3 visits, 6 trips and every one of them has been excruciatingly slow. I'm thinking a train to Windermere/Ambleside followed by hiring a car.

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    I had a great visit, thanks. Walked around Loughrigg Tarn on the Thursday and ate at a great restaurant in Ambleside that night. Got snowed in Friday so we walked into Ambleside from the pub we stayed at in the snow, spent two hours in a cosy pub in Ambleside and then took a cab back. Spent the day in the pub with the locals and their dogs and the roaring fire and then had dinner there that night. The pub does it's own beer which - sadly - they don't export down south. Barngate it is called and they had about 8 bitters and a lager, both the bitters I was drinking were quite wonderful.

It's getting in and out of the f*cking place that drives me mental. We did it in 8 1/2 hours on the way there and the M25, M40 and M6 were all crawling along. I think from me 5 hours is sensible. On the way back we had to take A roads to Halifax to visit friends as the M6 was still a parking lot, then we got on the M1 only to be informed that it was shut at J28 so we diverted over to the A1 which was OK but slowish. We then moved back from the A1 to the M1 outside London at which point the M1 stopped again.

Never again. 3 visits, 6 trips and every one of them has been excruciatingly slow. I'm thinking a train to Windermere/Ambleside followed by hiring a car.
    Excuse my French... why the **** would you go from the A1 to the M1 outside london, that is the worst section of M1 there is. A1 is ALWAYS a better option as even when slow is still prefereable to the M1
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Last time I tries the M1/M6 there was a 50mph thing which seems to extend from Stoke to Luton. More painful than watching The Arsenal at the moment.
    That 50 mph thing is particularly irksome because it's actually enforced. I've knew many people fall foul of the temporary cameras, which always seems horribly unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    That 50 mph thing is particularly irksome because it's actually enforced. I've knew many people fall foul of the temporary cameras, which always seems horribly unfair.
    The M1 around Luton seems to have had roadworks for about the last 7 years.... ****e road imho

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    Took me 5 1/2 hours to get from Brighton to Knaresborough on Saturday... that was also a record
    I had a quick stop in Knaresborough over Christmas - seems a very nice place

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I had a quick stop in Knaresborough over Christmas - seems a very nice place
    So no thought about messaging me so i could show you the local pubs... humph

So no thought about messaging me so i could show you the local pubs... humph
    I did think about messaging you and was given a tour by some locals. Had lunch in Malt Shovel in Brearton. Popped into the Mitre by the station for one. Had my family been more capable of organising a piss up in a brewery I might have actually had more warning that I was going to be in that area!

Quote Originally Posted by World's End Stella View Post
    I'd thought of that - maybe a train to Penrith, (3.5 hours from Euston) but the problem is all the clobber that you can just fling in the car. Saturday is a good day for travelling on the roads, I find. Much better than Friday or Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    I did think about messaging you and was given a tour by some locals. Had lunch in Malt Shovel in Brearton. Popped into the Mitre by the station for one. Had my family been more capable of organising a piss up in a brewery I might have actually had more warning that I was going to be in that area!
    Malt Shovel is nice and nothing wrong with the Mitre for a quick drink... why were you in sunny knaresborough?

Malt Shovel is nice and nothing wrong with the Mitre for a quick drink... why were you in sunny knaresborough?
    My sister who lives in Sheffield's fiancé's family are from deepest darkest North Yorkshire so we met up with them for lunch - not exactly half way but it was convenient. Then as one of my close friends lives in Knaresborough, she came out to Brearton to pick me up halfway through the meal (I had a starter but had to watch as everyone tucked into their roasts - it was torture) and we went back to Knaresborough from where I was picked up. All very rushed and it was actually Christmas Eve so everyone was stressed anyway. Next time I am there, I'll give you a shout